Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Picture of Scale Favor >

Picture of Scale Favor

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Picture of Scale Favor

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picture of Scale Favor

Hey guys,

I've decided that I'm not going to reload another shell until I get a new scale capable of high precision weights. I'm also going to get a set of check weights. Actually I can't believe I've gone this long without a set of check weights but that's dabbling on a budget.

Either way I've gone to all the places and none of the stores have any scales in stock other than the electronic ones. I want to stick with a balance type scale. I already have a Lyman 1000 so I don't need any pics of that one. Can some of you guys send me some real close pics of your scales?

The issue I have the with my Lyman is that just regular use will cause the scale to move out slightly. For most guys that level of precision is fine but I want some thing that is very precise.

So what is the best balance scale on the market? I want a real scale that reads in grains.

If the pics are too big just send me an IM and I'll supply my email.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM
DM

Default RE: Picture of Scale Favor

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hey guys,

I've decided that I'm not going to reload another shell until I get a new scale capable of high precision weights. I'm also going to get a set of check weights. Actually I can't believe I've gone this long without a set of check weights but that's dabbling on a budget.

Either way I've gone to all the places and none of the stores have any scales in stock other than the electronic ones. I want to stick with a balance type scale. I already have a Lyman 1000 so I don't need any pics of that one. Can some of you guys send me some real close pics of your scales?

The issue I have the with my Lyman is that just regular use will cause the scale to move out slightly. For most guys that level of precision is fine but I want some thing that is very precise.

So what is the best balance scale on the market? I want a real scale that reads in grains.

If the pics are too big just send me an IM and I'll supply my email.

Thanks

Tom
I've heard of Lyman scales of doing that before, but i've never experienced it with a 505 or a 10 10...

As for precision weights... All you have to do is weigh a couple different size/cal bullets, record the weights right on them. Then check your scalewith them from time to time...

A 505 will weight out a powder charge more than accurate enough for anything you will ever load...

DM
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

Check wieghts is something that you feel you have to have until you get them, and find out your scale is very precise. And then you feel like you waste money until you start losing confidense again, then they are worth thier weight in gold. Kinda like walking around in the dark. You could be fine going the right way, but until you know, you don't know.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

DM,

Thanks for commenting on the Lyman scale. I'm more comfortable about ordering another similar type scale. Sucks because I should have kept the electronic scale that came with my Lyman kit as it would have better street value now.

I thought Dillon was one of the more expensive outfits out there.

Check this out

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...or__039__Scale

Looks just like the 5-0-5.

Any thoughts? Should I get the Dillon and save $30?

Tom
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
bigcountry

I can't comment on dillion, but tons of 5-0-5's on ebay for less than 40 dollars.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found some good reviews of the Dillon a lot of them making a direct comparison of the Dillon and the 5-0-5. Think I'm heading that route.

Tom
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
bigcountry

I found some good reviews of the Dillon a lot of them making a direct comparison of the Dillon and the 5-0-5. Think I'm heading that route.

Tom
thats the good thing about having some check wieghts. It doesn't matter what you buy as long as its accurate to the wieghts.

I have 3 sets of calibers. One is a top quality mitutoyo, another is a starrett, and another is a cheap set of chinese from cabelas. I have a calibration set for length from starrett, and the chinese set is accurate within .001".

Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

thats the good thing about having some check wieghts. It doesn't matter what you buy as long as its accurate to the wieghts.
BC,

Well I don't have check weights so I've never known if the scale was accurate but I'm sure it was pretty darn close. My issue has always been repeatability. The notches don't exactly line up over what you think is a number and slight bumps can move the scale.

I just want repeatability. Funny how Lee comes with those yellow scoops so I guess repeatability is in the eye of the beholder.

Tom
Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know you are not interested in electronic scales but I would like to add this. I have or have had three digital electronic scales. One is excellent (Dillon Dterminator) two not so much. Each having its own little nuanses but all three were extremely accurate. I have also owned two RCBS beam scales, the best one they sell and their cheapest...still have the 10.

a couple points -
Electronic scales are every bit as repeatable if used correctly and in accordance with directions.
They are faster in every way.
They will easily weigh objects of unknown nominal weight. Beams cannot.
I have a full set of check weights and have compared my beams with my electronics many times....its a wash.
In the 35 years I have been handloading I have had more problems with beam scales than I ever had with electronics.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I ordered the electronic scale by Dillon. I read on the internet and it turns out it has quite the reputation for accuracy and repeatability. Calling Dillon is really what did it. I told the guy I wanted one just didn't trust them. He said if for any reason I don't like it in a year he'll return it for a full refund minus shipping and handling. So if it doesn't work out I'll just get the balance Dillon scale.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for you help guys.

Tom

Quick Reply: Picture of Scale Favor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.