Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Picture of Scale Favor >

Picture of Scale Favor

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Picture of Scale Favor

Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
DM

Default RE: Picture of Scale Favor

ORIGINAL: statjunk

DM,

Thanks for commenting on the Lyman scale. I'm more comfortable about ordering another similar type scale. Sucks because I should have kept the electronic scale that came with my Lyman kit as it would have better street value now.

I thought Dillon was one of the more expensive outfits out there.

Check this out

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

Looks just like the 5-0-5.

Any thoughts? Should I get the Dillon and save $30?

Tom
I never had one of those Dillon scales, so i can't comment on it. I've used numerous 505's though, and they are plenty cheap and of a known quality...

Weighing bullets and useing them later will tell you if your scale is repeating it's accuracy just as good as the high priced weights... Remember,you are looking for "repeatability" and the bullets will easily give you that.

DM
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: DM

Weighing bullets and useing them later will tell you if your scale is repeating it's accuracy just as good as the high priced weights... Remember,you are looking for "repeatability" and the bullets will easily give you that.

DM
High priced wieghts???? I got mine for 10 dollars. Man, you could never work in a precision metal industry like I do. Even the outsourcing we do in China and Thailand, they take a little more pride than "lets use this chunk of metal here".

Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check weights aren't necessary.
I used a Sierra match king bullet as a check weight- always the same bullet kept by itself in a small ziplock baggie.
I then got a little worried about what my scale was actually weighing and considered paying $20 for a set of check weights.
I made a set of them once using paperclips and coins weighed on an analytical balance at work. I used these for awhile. I checked the scale throughout its range, I checked the SMK against the scale calibrated with check weights. I never saw any variation.

I now just use the same SMK bullet to check the scale every time I use it, nothing else.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Briman

Check weights aren't necessary.
I used a Sierra match king bullet as a check weight- always the same bullet kept by itself in a small ziplock baggie.
I then got a little worried about what my scale was actually weighing and considered paying $20 for a set of check weights.
I made a set of them once using paperclips and coins weighed on an analytical balance at work. I used these for awhile. I checked the scale throughout its range, I checked the SMK against the scale calibrated with check weights. I never saw any variation.

I now just use the same SMK bullet to check the scale every time I use it, nothing else.
Now, this is smart idea. We have some high dollar scales here in the lab. Maybe I could make some for Tom using paper clips and using my check wieghts against em.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My "high priced weights" came with my scale. Any chance you think they would take them back on a credit. Apparently the good folks at Dillon thought that using pieces of misc. metal, some of which can be magnetic and some not, not such a great idea. But what do they know.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Now, this is smart idea. We have some high dollar scales here in the lab. Maybe I could make some for Tom using paper clips and using my check wieghts against em.
Wow you're on a roll today. Thanks for looking out. The scale I ordered came with a weight. What I plan on doing is checking it thought the first bunch of times I do some reloading. I'm going to run the microwave and stereo and see if anything makes it cough!

Thanks for all the input.

Tom
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Wow you're on a roll today. Thanks for looking out. The scale I ordered came with a weight. What I plan on doing is checking it thought the first bunch of times I do some reloading. I'm going to run the microwave and stereo and see if anything makes it cough!

Thanks for all the input.

Tom
Also try the clothes dryer. It puts off the highest amount of EMF of anything in the house.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a Lyman M5 off of e-Bay a couple of years back for $50.00. It was as good as new. I use Sierra bullets for check weights. They are generally within less than 1 grain of what the box says.......