Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 When is it clean? >

When is it clean?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

When is it clean?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: When is it clean?

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Thanks guys! you all answeredgreat. After learning of sweets and seeing the results of it I understand copper fouling, I think. Learning center fire shooting has been a eye opener. I would hate to see whatsweets would look like if ran down my old 22 mag!
right after getting out the copper, I use brake cleaner to get out all the sweets, and immediately oil the barrel.

Try that wipeout too. It has a rust prohibiting agent in it, and you can leave it in the barrel litterly for days. Never rust or pitting. The ammonia in sweets does not pit itself, but it does take the gun barrel down to bare metal and is hydroscopic which will pit the barrel.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

To answer the original question Sweets used properly will not hurt the barrel. If it did you wouldn't see guys cleaning their expensive custom barrels with it. I'll second Stubblejumper, you could not have said it any better
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Ultra Bore Coat the bore and discover a new perspective on clean...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Never had a copper problem ?? Either your in denial or you don't shoot enough LOL. Use the bore cleaning foam- you will never use hoppes again. You can use copper bullets all you want.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

The most important thing about cleaning a gun comes from breaking it in. If you look at a magnified bore on a factory gun it will look like thousands of jagged edges. These edges all catch fouling, copper, lead, etc. Custom barrels have typically been lapped and are free of these. The best way is to start fresh if you have a gun that has been fired and possibly abused.

Clean gun with sweets or Hoppes ora good copper solvent

Then clean it with JB Bore paste

shoot the gun

after each round run a brush through the barrel several times

after ten rounds clean again with sweets or other solvent

fire another 10 rounds

fire another ten rounds and run brush through after each round

clean thoroughly with sweets or hoppes

use the JB bore paste again

fire a fouling shot

then fire a 3 shot group for accuracy

some good info here:
http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Just put 200 rounds through my hornet this weekend, it still shoots great. When I cleaned it with #9 hoppies it did have some green tinge to it at first and some copper dust too. After the patches came clean I oil the bore with kroil and let it set for an hour. Used more #9 and patches till it was clean and oiled it with kroil for storage.

Maybe some day I will buy a gun that just loads up and will be force to use harsh cleaner, but so far I have been fine forover 40years of shooting. I would argue that #9 doesremove copper just not cheimicaly but moremechanicly. You wont see blue copper oxide on the patches but that does not mean its not working.So don't be too fast to laugh at some one that doesn't have the copper issues you do they just might know something you don't. I have metalergiststo consualt with where I work and some are into shooting sports.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM

I had forgot I even made this a while back, so here is a update. I was using the Hoppe's and tried butches bore shine also. I may just be expecting to much, but I consider clean when you run a wet patch down it and it comes out the same color it when in. I did not get this with Hoppe's or butches. Then went to sweets and had to clean per their directions six times before I had clean sweets patches coming out, that is patches with no blue, then fallowed it up with Kroil I had clean patches. Now I have been cleaning after every trip to the range with sweets for three times, first one comes out blue, second has a tint of blue, and third is clear, just to make sure two was all i needed, then about ten wet patches with Kroil and the patches come out as clean as they go in, and twice I have tried Hoppe's to make sure and the Hoppe's comes out just as clean. So now I feel like my barrel is clean and not in doubt. Also another thing I have been doing is swabbing the barrel with alcohol patches just before shooting. Read this on several competition forums. The logic was that most of the carbon fouling comes from oil in the barrel. After doing this I noticed my fouling shots are almost as close as my good shots and the gun is alot cleaner when I clean it with just kroil before sweets. Used to get real dark patches at first, but not after the alcohol process the patches are alot cleaner.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to try that trick of using rubbing alcohol before I shoot to clear the oil.

I always use Sweets to get out the copper from my Accubonds. I probably need to clean more as i never quite seem to get a clean patch. But Hopps9 just doesn't get any of the copper (although I think they came out with a copper-remover product now to help with that).
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 PM

All i use to clean my guns is Hoppes #9, Kroil and lighter fluid
Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

My routine is a powder solvent , followed by sweets, cr10,etc, then dry patch and heavy oil patch, dry patchs and finished with a light oil patch. Prior to shooting I dry patch to remove any excess oil from the bore. No problems be it a high grade or standard factory barrel.

Coated rod and bore guide are tools I consideressential forbore cleaning.

Quick Reply: When is it clean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.