Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Major Snag!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Major Snag!

I always suggest reloaders invest in a head and shoulder gauge. Measuring the shoulders of fireformed brass compared to what your die is doing is invalable to me. If I find a sizer is pushing the shoulders too much, I will call RCBS for replacment or have my headspaced checked. I have modified sizers too, to match a gun.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 AM

I always suggest reloaders invest in a magic marker, and then properly adjust their sizer die....

Can't imagine charging and seating without first making,inspecting, and chambering a dummy round to verify all is well....which it seems, is the way it didn't happen here. To create the bulges on these .243 win cases as a result of the sizer die being out of adjustmentwould likely have produced an out of norm effort with the press and that should have beenthe firstsign that something was wrong. This issue should have been recognized andresolved long before the first live round was even made. A visual of the very first sizing attempt, at the very least,would have showed the problem...

Personally I've never reloaded new or once fired brass without first checking fordiscrepencies in case length, if that is actually the culprit here in tandom with a die set too far down. I ALWAYS trim everything to a consistent length as part of initial case prep. I guess there's folks out there who don'tthink that's important.

Never saw an RCBS FL die that didn't take max length brass, 'course I don't set up with a cam over either.....
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
bigcountry

Partial full length sizing can and will cause excessive neck runout. Even with squaring dies.I have showed many people whodo too much reading from people like John Barsness. I much prefer to actually size straight ammo.

The culprit is usually draggin the expander ball back thru. I find excessive neck runout even if you raise the expander ball all the way up to be dragged while the die is supporting the case. Also have tried it John Barsness way of pushing the expander ball thru after sizing. All help some and is ok in my opinion of typical hunting ammo.

This is the benefit of collet dies and redding competition bushing neck sizing dies.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't imagine charging and seating without first making,inspecting, and chambering a dummy round to verify all is well....which it seems, is the way it didn't happen here.
Not everyone was born with vast knowledge of reloading techniques like you were that allow them to make snotty comments towards people trying to learn. Some people had to learn the hard way by trial and error, often with help of people who had experienced the same problems in the past. It doesn't help the new reloader either that RCBS packages instructions that are fundamentally incorrect with regards to sizing die adjustment with their die sets.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Is it possible that the expander ball is not adjusted in the die properly? IIRC on the RCBS die the tip of the de-priming pin should be 3/16th below the bottom of the die. This sets the EB to the right position.

early
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Ah yes, the "snotty post police" don't miss a beat.....

Get a life Briman...........
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: CZ2506

Don't speak your foreign language, but maybe you speak mine.......

Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
bigcountry

Don't speak your foreign language, but maybe you speak mine.......

Oh my gosh, your children are so lucky to have a father like you. I can see it now.

Wilds goes home and his son asks, "Dad what did you do today". Wilds replys, "I spent all my day trying to get banned so I can go to other websites and brag about it, and son, you should have seen it, I put up a cartoon mickey mouse that had the middle finger up, I am so cool son". Son looks at him perplexed, and says, "dad, I think you need to get a life, and grow up and take some maturity lessons from me, because your acting like a 12 year old". Mother is sitting back with a big smile saying, "I agree walker, how old are you again?". grin..grin

Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Don't speak your foreign language,
You may not be fluent, but you appear to have gotten the gist of it...

Quick Reply: Major Snag!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.