Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Sierra Gamekings Opinions >

Sierra Gamekings Opinions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra Gamekings Opinions

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sierra Gamekings Opinions

What's the reputation of the Sierra Gameking bullets. Well constructed? Bonded? Consistent? Good on game?

Noticed that they are well priced.

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sierra Gamekings Opinions

So whats the truth? Is it cheaper than going to the grocery store?
Sierra Game King and Pro-Hunter bullets are good ones. Over the past 40 years I have killed well over 200 deer with 150 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter and Game King bullets.

No, they are not bonded.99.5 percent of the deer ever killed in the USA were not killed with bonded bullets. Sierra bulletsare consistent on hogs and deer. Have never had a hog get away after being shot with one of those bullets.It has been decades since I had a deer get away. Sometimes they do not exit,that matters not to me: I donot need a "blood trail."
Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting Sierra bullets for over 35 years, and have been completely satisfied with their product. I have tried all the other products, and always seem to come back to Sierra after I get my ounce of stupidity out of the way. I have bought all of the expensive bullets, just like everybody else, but now I see the error of my ways.

IMO too many people use the so called "Premium" bullets in a caliber that is too light to do the job, so theyuse the lighter caliber-then they pay the higher prices for their bullets.

I hearthe argument all the time about I only shoot one shot so I want the best bullet I can get. The problem with tihs is thatmost hunters should be shooting alot more, with less expensive ammo, and they would be better off in the field. If a hunter goeselk hunting with a good 30, or 338 caliber with a good 200 or 250 grain Sierra bullet, they will come home with game. Tom.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have been shooting Sierra bullets for over 35 years, and have been completely satisfied with their product. I have tried all the other products, and always seem to come back to Sierra after I get my ounce of stupidity out of the way. I have bought all of the expensive bullets, just like everybody else, but now I see the error of my ways.

IMO too many people use the so called "Premium" bullets in a caliber that is too light to do the job, so theyuse the lighter caliber-then they pay the higher prices for their bullets.

I hearthe argument all the time about I only shoot one shot so I want the best bullet I can get. The problem with tihs is thatmost hunters should be shooting alot more, with less expensive ammo, and they would be better off in the field. If a hunter goeselk hunting with a good 30, or 338 caliber with a good 200 or 250 grain Sierra bullet, they will come home with game. Tom.

I basically agree with you Tom. But what I would like to add is that there are other bullets out there inthe same price range that will do just as good a job. If your gun just plain doesn't want to shoot a particularbullet to your satisfaction, then try something else. It's no big secret that guns are individuals and will tell you what they like. I tried to get Sierras to shoot out of one of my .280's and had no luck. As soon as I switched to another bullet, Bango!! Got what I was after. This is in no way any foul cry about Sierras. I do shoot them very successfully in several of my other rifles. I'm just saying that Sierras are fine, but there are other choices. Your gun will let you know. Yes, they certainly do put game on the pole!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA you are exactly right. I have been having some great luck lately with the Hornady V-Max, and the A-Max bullets. They are in the price range of the Sierra bullets. I also hate to admit it but I am also getting some unbelievable accuracy out of the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets, and they do cost a bit more. But I will say that I have tried the Partitions may times, with no luck. I have never been able to get them to shoot very well. Tom.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

What's the reputation of the Sierra Gameking bullets. Well constructed? Bonded? Consistent? Good on game?

Noticed that they are well priced.

Thanks

Tom
Sierra bullets have tapered jackets that are thinner toward the front in order to give some semblance of controlled expansion. The few I have used on game (deer) have performed well enough that I have no complaints. I don't use them at magnum velocities!

One thing I have discovered, though, is that in most rifles I've tried this with, I can do my load development with Siera bullets, then switch to the same-weight Nosler Partition, and get the same results as far as velocity, accuracy, and point of impact. This does notwork with ALL rifles, but quite a few.For example, this 100 meter group was fired from a Argentine M1909, 7.65X53mm Mauser using both Sierra Game King and Nosler Partition 200-grain .308" bullets and the samecharge of IMR 4350. The relatively high MV is due to the 29" barrel!!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info guys.

So other than the Sierra Gamekings what other "affordable" bullets might I want to shoot out of a 300 WM?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had no difficulties with the Sierra Game King shot out of my 7 mm mag. I must admit, I am not using max. loads and perhaps that is why I've had success. I've tried the more expensive bullets such as the NP and the Barnes X. (I'll pick up the NP's if they are on sale but I don't believe that the Barnes are worth the extra cost). I am not a compitition shooter, simply a hunter and for that application the SGK's get the job done.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk - as for affordability and if you're going after deer or black bear or even elk - don't overlook the old Hornady Interlock bullets (Not the new Interbond which are considered premium bullets) in the 180 gr. These are good reliable accurate bullets and have taken tons of game.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Checked the price of the interlocks same as the gamekings. Which is the better bullet for accuracy and hunting?

Tom

Quick Reply: Sierra Gamekings Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.