Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Going Vertical?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 PM

Default Going Vertical?

Had some loads worked up for my 204 and made it to the range today. Had a couple that looked pretty good, but had a little wind and would like to go back with a few loads and try again. But the point in this post is my last two loads, that where also on the top end of the load spec ended up being vertically strung. I would think that as consistent as both of these are with being vertically in line does this tell me something? None of the other five loads did this. I was shooting off of a lead sled on a concrete bench and felt pretty good with all my shots. Just thought this looked like it should mean something. Any of you guys have an idea? Also, this is 100 yard shots. The Crony also had all the shots within 50 FPS of each other. At the most the barrel was warm, but not very warm at all, just able to notice it a little with a bare hand.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going Vertical?

Isn't rising shots a sign of barrel heat? I know I read all about this in a magazine article, different "typical" panterns and what they meant.....I think rising was a sign of something.....possibly barrel heating......

there were also some typical patterns like 2 together and 1 spoiler......etc....
Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The list of possible causesfor vertical strings is a long oneof which may include; rest, rifle/shooter positioning, recoil, rifle balance,bedding, barrel heat, to light or heavy of load(charge), fouling, etc.

FYI,link:http://www.6mmbr.com/verticaltips.html

You should be able to narrow the potentials by systematically reviewing the results and looking for changes in load, etc that may have resulted in the vertical string. If you can't narrow it down this way on your next range visit try the loads that strung first to eliminate shooter fatique.

BTW I had a vertical stringyesterday from a lead sled. This was a proven tested load but is on the high side in my rifle. Inoticed my muzzle flipped more then normal with the sled. I moved back to my sandbags and shot a normal group. So it is possible the rest is the culprit however had I not known the load was good I would have assumed i was too high and backed off a touch. I also know my rifle very well so bedding, etc can be ruled out. However seeing your rifle is new you must take a much longer route to eliminate possibles.

G/L
Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 AM
bigcountry

Wow, that is an extreme case of vertical stringing. And usually indictitive of bedding or pressure on the barrel. But if other loads do not do this, I am not sure what to tell you. I would go back to the other load to make sure. Everytime something strange happens like this, usually my scope has came loose or action screws.

I found BL-C with max load of 30.7gr with 32gr ballistic tip gives me .7MOA all day. Thats with a remington bench primer. I was pleasently surprised that max load worked best at 4020fps.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the stringing showed up fairly suddenly, and was not evident with other charge weights and/or powders, I think I would rule out the bedding issue for the time being. I have had vertical stringing show up before, and either an increase in powder charge or a decrease generally eliminated it. A change in powder may eliminate it as well. If you are at the max charge for the powder/bullet combo you are trying, it may not be safe to try an increase in charge weight. Your gun and temps. will let you know. A change in powder may be your best bet if you are not satisfied with velocities/groups achieved prior to the stringing.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
I found BL-C with max load of 30.7gr with 32gr ballistic tip gives me .7MOA all day. Thats with a remington bench primer. I was pleasently surprised that max load worked best at 4020fps.
Your about the fifth person to recommend that load. I tried BLC-2 once but never went to the max. I will have to load that up again.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
bigcountry

I started at 29gr, went to 29.5, then 30, and lastly 30.7.

For some reason 29.5 shot bad, like 2MOA out of 6 shots. But 29gr and 30gr shot 1MOA, but 30.7gr shot two groups .7MOA a piece. that warrants me to go and make up about 20 and to finallize the load.