Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloads higher than factory  loads? What gives? >

Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

I recently got into reloading and have some buddies who would like me to reload some .45 auto for them. I didn't mind a bit because this stuff is fun (thanks for talking me into it). I was going through midway and calculating how much it would cost to buy all the parts and start from scratch. Here is what i came up with.

Winchester brass (1000) $174.99
Winchester bullets (1000) $133.99
Winchester powder (1lb) $15.13
Federal primers (1000) $26.99
TOTAL$351.10 per 1000 rounds (230gr FMJ)

I can buy these same bullets at wal-mart for $29.00 / 100 rnds
So thats 35cents per round for the reloads vs. 29cents per round factory
I know i will save 17 cents per round if I already have the brass but I don't. So am I missing something or just need to buy factory winchester loads and save the brass? One guys gun loves the factory loads, and that is why i am loading them to factory specs, thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Winchester bullets (1000) $133.99
There's where you are paying too much. If you are just loading 230gr rn loads, $13/100 is way too much to pay. There's nothing special about 230gr RN bullets. If you are shooting a 1911,you might also try 200gr SWCs (especially lead if you want to shoot those), they shoot best out of my springfield loaded 1911.

Try these: http://www.berrysmfg.com/56.php

If you can shoot lead bullets out of you rgun try these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...amp;t=11082005

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

So am I missing something or just need to buy factory winchester loads and save the brass?
That's another good route to go. Winchester can charge a lot less for loaded rounds than the individual components because they load billions of rounds and can set whatever price they want on the components.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

thanks alot briman
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Are you planning on throwing your reloaded brass away after the first firing? If not then your calculations are way off.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM

You can cut your cost considerably shooting cast bullets. That's about all I shoot in my .45 and if you get a can of bullseye or red dot, they use so little powder that a pound will last forever. It's a HOT powder and you best be careful with it. My own best .45 powder is Unique........6 1/2 grs under a 230 gr RN cast bullet.

Also keep in mind that for certain cartridges, usually military ammo, it IS possible to find commercially loaded ammo cheaper than you can load it and for the reasons Birman has mentioned. They load the stuff by the train loads and can sell it cheap. But for most ammo, it will never touch your reloaded cost...and reusing the brass (which is LAW #! for a reloader) will drastically lower your cost.

Instead of buying new brass for .45, check Midway and others for once fired brass. Learn to keep your eyes open when you go to a shooting range and latch onto the brass others aren't smart enough to pick up. It takes a little time but eventually you'll have all you want. And another thought, people who ask me to reload for them, usually the first thing I tell them is "Bring me YOUR empties."

Finally, be careful about loading for others. If they have any sort of "problem," guess who they will blame or try to sue.[:-]

I only load for VERY close friends. Resist the temptation to be a "nice guy." Very quickly they will waste more of your time than they are worth and you'll get the blame for every miss or whatever they have forever.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

you will not need a thousand rounds at one time right? why buy a thousand brass?buy 200 brass and do what reloading is intended for. . . .reload
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 AM

There are two reasons to reload. One is to reduce the cost of ammunition and the other is to improve balistics. This of course dosn't account for the fact that it is just plain fun!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 AM

In theory you're right, SC. But the reality, as we all know, is getting into reloading is like wading into quick sand. You just get sucked in deeper and deeper. But the good news like you say...you can build better ammo and it's a mighty fun and interesting hobby. Lot more satisfying to take your next deer with something you put together all by yourself.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

thanks alot guys, you are all a great help to the newbies

Quick Reply: Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.