Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloads higher than factory  loads? What gives? >

Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reloads higher than factory loads? What gives?

I enjoy reloading as much or more than just about anybody out there. But there are a few cartridges that it just does not make a lot of sense to reload, because of the cost of cheap ammo. And the fact that plinking ammo does not have to be top notch stuff. If your concern is strictly competitive target shooting or hunting then I would reload for the 45 Auto. But if your goal is just fun shooting then just buy your ammo by the case, and sell the brass when you are done. It will be just as cheap as reloading, without the extra work. Unless you cast your own bullets.

I do cast my own bullets, but I enjoy shooting so much, and I shoot so much of the cheap ammo, that I just go the cheap ammo route. However I do cast for my 44 Magnum's. But I hunt with these pistols, and accuracy is paramount.

I buy factory ammo for my 9mm's, 38 special, 40 S&W(buying one right now), 45 Auto, and 223 Remington. It is hard to beat the factory stuff in these cartridges. And as said above if you sell the brass when you are done, then the price is comparable. Tom.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy factory ammo for my 9mm's, 38 special, 40 S&W(buying one right now), 45 Auto, and 223 Remington. It is hard to beat the factory stuff in these cartridges. And as said above if you sell the brass when you are done, then the price is comparable.
yep, reloading 9mm has never been cost effective for me, I reload .45 with my own cast bullets which is hte only thing that makes it cost effective. I usually cound on losing 1/4 to 1/3 of my brass every firing as most of my pistol shooting is on grass IPSC courses of fire.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you toss out a once-fired case, you are throwing away 75% of the price of a loaded round of new ammo!!

When you buy EVERYTHING NEW, you are making CUSTOM AMMO, you are NOT RELOADING! Reloading is refilling already-fired cases!!

Where you are going wrong in your calculation here, (in addition to possibly paying too muchfor bullets, powder & primers!!) is charging the cost of new brass (Winchester brass (1000) $174.99) to the RELOADING process.IF you are reloading, YOU ALREADY OWN THE BRASS!! Here, you are actually making ammunition from the component parts! That's different!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point eldequello. I just picked up 200 pieces of once fired .308 Win brass for $20. I figured that I scored pretty good since the stuff goes for $25 for a bag of 100 around my area. Honestly, for getting started with a 45 auto I would just buy a few boxes of factory ammo and then reload that stuff once emptied. Buying 1000 rounds for $175 just doesnt seem very cost effective to me. You will have a hard time using that much ammo in a day anyways.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Midway usually sells once fired brass cheap. Its a seasonal offering, meaning they generally have it in the summer. I try to pick up some every year to replace those lost at the range. If You're buying new unfired brass it is expensive.