Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Zeroing Scales

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Zeroing Scales

From a engineer stand point you have to be tracable to a engineering weight standard any thing else is a calculated guess pure and simple. And by the way check weights come in incerments so you can zero at almost any charge weight needed. And are on par with or cheaper than a box of bullets.
Yes you need to be, and can beconsistant using penneys, nickles and a few sorted bullets, but why not just do it right? Its taking one more veriable put of the reloading equation. Sometimes your load is faster than the listed velocity not because of a fast barrel but because your load is realy 0.02-0.03grs over and than could be very bad. I find it a good thing to know of much margin of safty I real have not just a guess.

I do not mean to afend anyone but if I want i can actual produce sometings weight and atomical make upin a scanning ectron microscope. many ofus posters do very neet things. And some like myself don't spellorfind mistakes in our post well, Be gentil.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the do it right thing 100%...
This is the way I feel about it I guess,..
I honestly can't see RCBS LYMAN etc, going through the rigours of precision making weights more so than like Sierra does their Match grade bullets..
So if precise engineering, is what a person wantsthan use precise weights from a quality manufacturer....
Something thats engineered to perfection,for safety amongst everything else.Go with like something that a company like Troemner.
It just seems to me most people use what their favorite reloading company supplies and call it good enough.
And all I'm saying is if thats the case you might as well use a match grade bullet until such a time you can afford to do so......
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Typical Buck

using a match grade bullet with a known weight is not without merit......however i believe the question was to attempt to find which scales was more accurate....the rcbs 505 or the lee balance beam. the lee scale is incapable of measuring ocer 100 grains. so a 155 gr match bullet won't work on the lee scale though it would show if the rcbs scale is close.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I may be 100% wrong, but I'd bet lymen or RCBS dose not make weights or have a company make weights just for them. The most likely purchase them from a company that makes weights, gage-pins, joe-blocks, etc.. All made toset standards. These standardsmay have diferent +/- ranges but still fall into a known standard. Its not uncommon to findone non-comforming bullet in box. I foundone in a box of speer bullets slightly different ogive and point profile. Measured .358 dia. and seemed to weight 180grs, but I just tossed it.