Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Handloading for BAR? >

Handloading for BAR?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Handloading for BAR?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Handloading for BAR?

I'm thinking of saving up and buying a Browning BAR Safari (of course...no Eurotrash styling for me, thank you![:@][:'(] Even my wife thinks the Long/Short-Tracs are ugly)...but I digress!

Anyway, the rifle will be for my wife (hence asking for her opinion) for deer hunting in the woods of western Minnesota (near Fargo), and I plan on getting it in .243 Win. She's recoil sensitive and I figure the BAR being a tad heavier than typical bolt guns and a autoloader would be just the ticket. Should feel like shooting a 22-250, which is her favorite cartridge.

Anyway, I have dies for .243 because of a rifle I used to have, and I would likely handload for it. So my question is, other than FL resizing every time, are there any special requirements or quirks about handloading for a gas autoloader (i.e. only can use certain powders or the bullets have to be so heavy, etc...)? I've never handloaded for a semi-auto rifle, only bolt action and leverguns.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Handloading for BAR?

I load for three BARs. Two 300WSM and one 30-06. I size with Redding bushing dies. I have not found the need to use the Small Base Dies. I load the same as I do for my bolt guns without any problems.
I contacted several powder and bullet manufactures and asked if the BAR was in danger of damageby usingslow powders. They all agreed that military type actions like the Garand could be severily damaged with the use of slow burnijng powders, but the modern actions like the BAR would do just fine as long as you don't hot rod them.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Anyway, I have dies for .243 because of a rifle I used to have, and I would likely handload for it. So my question is, other than FL resizing every time, are there any special requirements or quirks about handloading for a gas autoloader (i.e. only can use certain powders or the bullets have to be so heavy, etc...)? I've never handloaded for a semi-auto rifle, only bolt action and leverguns.

Thanks,

Mike
out of my 270 7400, I had to use small base dies. But out of several BARs I have not had too. Also, no rules on powder IMO. You will hear several say, use faster powders. But I get my best groups with the slower powders. I don't go insane and use H1000 for my 270win, but will use 4350 for my 06's and 270's. My thinkin is those are the general powders burn rates used in factory ammo, and the modern BAR is made for that. Alot will argue differently.

I have never laoded for a semi in a 243, so can't give you advise there.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking of saving up and buying a Browning BAR Safari (of course...no Eurotrash styling for me, thank you![:@][:'(] Even my wife thinks the Long/Short-Tracs are ugly)...but I digress!
Shortrac or Longrac = POS and definitely a Step down from the BAR. That 243 in a BAR will recoil like an air rifle what is not to like about that.

I reloaded for a 7mm Rem BAR and used Redding FL dies with no problem in fact I spoke to their customer service prior to ordering the dies and thats what was recommended. RCBS makes a small base die set for Autos,LEvers but I have never used them
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I loaded for a 300 winchester magnum for over 20 years. I experimented excessively with the BAR. I discovered that it prefers a hot load, and with a little bit ifTLC and patience, it can, and will give a high grade target rifle a run for it's money. The recoil is greatly reduced because of the action system too. Your wife could easily handle a rifle of larger bore with this design. They are a snap to totally tear apart to clean too. Good choice for the little lady!