Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 want to start handloading >

want to start handloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

want to start handloading

Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Default want to start handloading

i want to get into handloading.how can i learn everthing i need to and is there a good starterpackage. thanks for any help
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: want to start handloading

buy reloading books................all of them, Nosler, Hornady, Lymans, Speer any you can find and read all of the first chapter "introduction to reloading" then after your done reading it, reread it. I had to read mine like 3 times before I started understanding things. Having a friend is another option to use AFTER you read all you can. Sometimes its easier to have a friend explain instead of words in a book. Lastly come on here if steps 1 and 2 dont work and ask alot of questions. I have learned alot from these guys in here and have never came acroosed something that one of them couldnt solve.

*when I started 3 years ago, I bought the RCBS Rockcrusher Supreme Kit, it had almost everything I needed. You will still have to buy extra little gadgets to fit your needs.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 PM

What mossy said^^^^^^^^ buy at least one of the big, fat, and expensive reloading manuals. (It sucks, but its worth it) and then read and read until you figure out what else you're going to want to buy. I started about a year ago with the Lee hand press. It's a great beginner's...very affordable.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 AM

I started reloading a few years ago. I bought Lee's realoading book and the reloading book that the NRA puts out. The Lee book explains things pretty well and you have all of your load data in it. The NRA manual is great because it's short and for the most part, to the point.

I started with Lee equipment and most of it works fine. The Lee powder scale is junk (IMHO). I used it, cussed it and bought an RCBS. The Lee press is great, I have the turret press. If I ever upgrade, I will go with the RCBS Rockchucker set. I'm not crazy about the Lee Dies. I have a few sets of Lee dies but prefer my Redding Dies.

Hope this Helps. Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM

I AM ABOUT TO PUT A RCBS ROCK CHUCKER PRESS AND MANY ACCESORIES ON E-BAY LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 AM

Buy the RCBS rockchucker kit. Then find someone trustworthy to show the ropes. Buy all the reloading manuals you can get: Nosler, Seirra, Barnes, Speer, Lee, Hornady...
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

i want to get into handloading.how can i learn everthing i need to and is there a good starterpackage. thanks for any help
My advise is a little different than everybodies. Go and buy yourself a Rockchucker kit, and go in head first. It will come with a manual. Cause for me, just having a manual with no toys to play with or have reference too, would be useless.

I would get the kit without the trimmer, and regular ole balance beam. I would purchase along with that, a powder trickler, dies for one caliber to start on (full length), 20-30 dollars set of calibers and a redding trimmer. I hate my RCBS trimmer. I still have a cheap set of cabelas calibers, and they are accurate. I have a proof set from work to check them. I also have a set of mitutoyo digitals and starret micrometers, that I mostly use, but you can get those later. Handy but not a must have.

Then decide on what bullet you will start out loading. I suggest the nosler manual myself. I have them all, and nosler is the most used. If you mostly load hornady, get hornady.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info here guys. I am a newcomer to reloading as well and will be following this thread. I am a guy that needs to jump into things head first like bigcountry so that is why I just went with the Lee Classic reloader products and have been truly handloading for the past 3 weeks. It you really want to get into it on the cheep then it is not a bad way to go.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
bigcountry

Those classics are pretty neat. I don't know what I was thinking, but I got one for a 270. I must have lost my head, thinking I might need to kick up some quick loads in the field.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy mine. Although I do see a bench loader in the near future. The Classic has at least gotten me started and a lot better idea of what reloading is all about. You canot beat them for the money.

Quick Reply: want to start handloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.