Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 beam or electronic loading scale >

beam or electronic loading scale

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

beam or electronic loading scale

Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: beam or electronic loading scale

Get a beam balance, you can't go wrong with them and they cost lest than electronics.

I recently bought a cheap electronic balance ($29), it reads within 0.2gr which is good enough for quality checking while reloading for rifles, culling brass, or culling cast bullets. I works very well and greatly speeds some things up, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as my sole measure for weighing.

I normally set up my powder thrower using my beam balance, and randomly check my charges using the electronic balance.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a Pact digital for a while but got tired of having to recalibrate and having to wait for additional powder kernels to register. I now use a Redding beam scale in conjunction with a Lee Perfect powder measure and Redding trickler and have been very happy with this arrangement.

Here's something I did recently that has speeded up my powder weighing. I've alwayshad my beam scale sitting on my reloading bench when using itand when I weighed a charge I had to kind of bend over soI could be at eye level with it. This was awkward and slowed things down. A few weeks ago I decided to try something new. I took my Sony camcorder and set it on a tripod in front of my reloading bench. I set the camera at the same height as the scale andzoomed in on thescale's indicator. I then hooked the camera to a portable TV and set that on my reloading bench. So now when weighing powder I don't have to bend my head over to see the indicator, I just look up at the TV in front of me.Sincethe camera is zoomed in on the scale's indicatorI get a view that's much better thanI ever got with my naked eye.I'd say this has speeded up my powder weighing by 25% or more.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the RCBS 505 and the Lyman 1200 DPS II. Both of them are consistant. The DPS is quick. I am dispensing a charge while I am seating bullets.The charges are preprogramed into the Lyman, and it's a matter of pushing a button to dispense my preselected charge. I love the power scale, and use the 505 to check my charges every once in a while. The digital scale will vary if the furnace kicks in, yes it is that sensitive. It has a plastic cover that covers the pan, and that eliminates the fluctuation, if you close it. It is very simple to operate, and I love it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my Sony camcorder and set it on a tripod in front of my reloading bench. I set the camera at the same height as the scale andzoomed in on thescale's indicator. I then hooked the camera to a portable TV and set that on my reloading bench. So now when weighing powder I don't have to bend my head over to see the indicator, I just look up at the TV in front of me.Sincethe camera is zoomed in on the scale's indicatorI get a view that's much better thanI ever got with my naked eye.I'd say this has speeded up my powder weighing by 25% or more.
That is pure genius.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is much more to electronics and RF noise than, TV is 8ft away. These transduces are very sensitive, and sometimes nothing for some, but alot for others. So unless you have a spectrum analyzer or at least an oscilloscope, only way to tell if its a problem is to buy one.
What I can tell you is that when checked with my check weights,my scale is always exactly on calibration.If I bump the table or scale when loading,and throw off the zero,the zero will read + or -.It is easily rezeroed by pressing the zero button.With my 10-10,it could still be bumped off zero,and took longer to rezero.

But still bet I can beat you in trickling a powder chargewith a beam.
It's too bad that you are so far away,as I would enjoy taking you up on that bet.Since switching to the digital,my reloading time has been reduced significantly.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have the RCBS chargemaster. It is nice for weighing brass and bullets. When it comes to powder, it is nothing more than an EXPENSIVE powder dump.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

There is much more to electronics and RF noise than, TV is 8ft away. These transduces are very sensitive, and sometimes nothing for some, but alot for others. So unless you have a spectrum analyzer or at least an oscilloscope, only way to tell if its a problem is to buy one.
What I can tell you is that when checked with my check weights,my scale is always exactly on calibration.If I bump the table or scale when loading,and throw off the zero,the zero will read + or -.It is easily rezeroed by pressing the zero button.With my 10-10,it could still be bumped off zero,and took longer to rezero.

But still bet I can beat you in trickling a powder chargewith a beam.
It's too bad that you are so far away,as I would enjoy taking you up on that bet.Since switching to the digital,my reloading time has been reduced significantly.
I do make it edmonton some. [:-]

What I am trying to explain is, your example is not always the rule. The simple answer to the noise issues is "it depends".

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What I am trying to explain is, your example is not always the rule. The simple answer to the noise issues is "it depends".
Absolutely,it depends on the particular scale,and the location.As such,I can only relate my own experiences with electronic scales,just like everyone else.