Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 beam or electronic loading scale >

beam or electronic loading scale

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

beam or electronic loading scale

Old 11-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: beam or electronic loading scale

I have a Lyman electro and Lyman beam on the bench always.After 10 charges, I'll check with the Beam.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Agree completely with Pawildman and Dan. Nothing to fail on a beam scale as long as you don't crunch it. I've sent my PACT in for repair 4 times now, paying shipping $5 to them and $10 to get it back. Still will not calibrate. They told me last that it must be cell towers. Makes a nice paperweight now.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

Iwent on a quest several years ago looking for a high quality digital electronic. All I found was junk. I bought 3, one from cabelas, RCBS, and a dillion. They won't update real time, so trickling a load is about impossible.

I can throw a powder load and trickle much faster with a beam scale.

Also, the digitals can have calibration issues depending on your power, or if any noisy (electronics) appliances are running, or vibrations. They are great for weighing fixed things like broadheads, or bullets or brass. But truely suck at wieghing powder charges.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

with elelctronic scales, that was one thing I did think about. noise is knowen for messing with all kinds of electronics.

where I be loading, I have the computer and tv near.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the original electronic model 90 scale sold by RCBS.It was quite expensive(about $350 US many years ago),and larger than most,but it is very consistant and updates very quickly so trickling works well.I use a measure set just under my desired weight,and trickle every charge.My television is about 8 feet away,and it does not bother the scale at all.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a electronic...it was ok,but I have a Redding and a CH beam scales and I canstart dumping powder and if I had someone pressing bullets I could keep them busy!Alot of that does depend on the powder dump though,love my RCBS! It's been good from right below 7 grains to 30 grains and beyond if need be.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start this thread the help me out finding a scale. I am more confused.

but I am not getting one that you need batteries only.

I am also on a budget.

note: this is great help and to see all the options out there
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a budget go with a beam scale!Not as fragile and temp or weather(lighting storms,misc) sensitive! You can find them at gunshows or maybe ebay,but watch Midway for sales!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have the original electronic model 90 scale sold by RCBS.It was quite expensive(about $350 US many years ago),and larger than most,but it is very consistant and updates very quickly so trickling works well.I use a measure set just under my desired weight,and trickle every charge.My television is about 8 feet away,and it does not bother the scale at all.
There is much more to electronics and RF noise than, TV is 8ft away. These transduces are very sensitive, and sometimes nothing for some, but alot for others. So unless you have a spectrum analyzer or at least an oscilloscope, only way to tell if its a problem is to buy one. Its usually really bad in a subdevelopment like Mossyoak33 on here is. He had noise issues.

But still bet I can beat you in trickling a powder chargewith a beam.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking at beam. I am going to ask for it for christmas.

Quick Reply: beam or electronic loading scale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.