Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mm-08 issues

Old 11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08 issues

ORIGINAL: handloader1

I would contact the gunsmith who built the rifle. Good luck.
Me too. If you spent that much money on a Sako rifle AND fitted it with a high-end custom barrel, and 3-4" is the best it can do, then the 'smith screwed something up. My bone stock Savage 111 will outshoot your high-end custom rifle with a blind man behind the trigger...and that's just plain wrong. I think your gunsmith has some 'splainin' to do. [8D]

Unless, of course, it's not the rifle's fault at all...

Mike

Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm08 is 1 of the most accurate rounds I've ever built a rifle in. I agree that something is seriously wrong somewhere and take it back to your smith with attitude.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I have a custom 7-08 with accuracy issues. It has a glass bedded Sako short action and 20 in Douglas Premium light weight free floated barrel in a Manlicher(sp?) stock."

The problem is probablythe free floatedlight weight barrel.i have had problems with floating light weight barrels:Sometimesa light weight barrel will need some upward pressure exerted onit. Take a few thicknesses of duct tape about 1/4 inch wide and 1/2 inch long and place it in the barrel channel about 1 inch from the fore end tip. Use just enough thicknesses of tape to exert about 5 pounds of upward pressure on the barrel.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever the problem is,it shouldn't exist by the time you recieve it! When I build a custom rifle for customer,I ALWAYS make SURE it performs as advertized before I deliver the rifle. Once in a while I lose money by having to replace barrel or other componet when final testing. I would rather lose money than lose reputation for building flawless precision rifles. The point is-your "smith" should have figured this out BEFORE shipping.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Mark,
My daughter and I both had 7mm 08s at the same time, Both rifles gave excellent velocities and accuracy from 22" barrels. Katie's used a 140 grain Nosler Partition and I used the Nosler 140 grain Accubond bullet. These rifles took 2 antelope, several mule deer (5 or 6) and a cow elk. Most were hit in the lung area and a few were neck shots. Katie's cow was hit in the neck and dropped so fast she thought she'd missed it when she lost sight of it during the rifles recoil. Those hit in the lungs took anywhere from 25 yards to 49 yards to lay down. That is about typical.

I've noticed over the years that there is a difference in kills depending on where an animal is hit in the lungs. Keep in mind that this is just my observations and are not backed by formal research. An animal hit low in the lungs seems to travel further than one hit through the center, top to bottom, of the lungs, Those hit high through the lungs go down faster than either of the other two. Those hit low in the lungs seem to have the blood drain from the lungs and the animal diesslower because more of the lungs still work. When this animal is dressed the chest holds more blood than either of the other two hits.

Those hit in the center of the lung die quicker than the low hit becausemore of the lung fills with blood quicker and the animal goes down pretty quick. This hit seems to end up with less blood in the chest cavity than the first hit.

Those hit high through the lungs drop immediately because the shock to the spine. Death follows very quickly because the lungs fill with blood and stop working. Of the three kills, this one seems to have the least amount of blood in the chest cavity.

I suggest you get a good book on the anatomy of game animals so you know where the bones and organs are located.

I hope that this is of some help.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 AM

Well I didn't expect to find this but the fore end was touching the barrel about midway up and also at the tip... I know I checked this when I first got the gun but I am getting this taken care of and then I will go on from there.

Scope, nuzzle crown, action screws all ok.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Mark
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mark2007

I have a custom 7-08 with accuracy issues. It has a glass bedded Sako short action and 20 in Douglas Premium light weight free floated barrel in a Manlicher(sp?) stock. I have tried various 120gr and 140gr factory ammo including premium Winchester but 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds is typical. Shot 3deer with factory Win 140 grain ...folded up like a dishrag with a lung shot.
Neck sized reloads give 2-3 in groups. This is with Hornady 139 BT bullet, Speer 120, and 120 Nosler boatail w/ BLC-2 and 4064 powders. I temporarily settled on the 139 Hornady and 42 gr BLC2. First 3 deer dropped in their tracks with this load. Next 4 allwent 75 - 125 yards before going down. All shot thru the lungs. I decided I was not getting enough bullet expansion maybe due to low velocity.

This year changed to 120gr Nosler BT and 45gr BLC2. First deer shot thru the heart at 30 yds ran 100 yards into a swampjust at dark. Did not find him until the next day. I gave up on heart/lung shots and shot the next deerin the neck (facing me at 75 yds). It folded up. Found the Nosler bullet had blown up with pieces under the skin and in the tenderloin.

I usethe gunprimarily for deer hunting in the southeast USA. I need a load that will anchor a deer with a shot thru the lungs. It is sweet handling but I am not happy with the accuracy or killing power of the loads I have tried. I want to use reloads.

Ihave acustom .308 with a 19 in barrel that shoots1-1.5 inch groups and drops deer in their tracks...also same performance with a .270 Browning 22 inch barrel.

Any suggestions for this 7mm-08 would really be appreciated.

mark
"I would contact the gunsmith who built the rifle. Good luck."
I would try this first!

Since your barrel isfree-floated now, I suggest you try to put some upward pressure on the barrel from underneath in the forend of the stockby putting some card stock or metal shim material in the forend channel of the stock.Try putting about #10 of upward pressure on the barrel at about the point where you would put it if the stock was not a Mannlicher style. That's about 1" behind where the front end of the forend tip would be if it was a regular stock. It may be necessary to use as much as 20# to get the dampening results you need. If the forend pad approach doesn't work, try glass bedding the barrel for the entire length from the front of the receiver ring forward. (I am assuming that the action and barrel are solidly bedded now from the tang to a point two or three inches in front of the receiver ring, and free-floated from that point forward?)

Some barrels shoot best free-floated. Some shoot best with a pressure pad in the forend, and there are even some that need a full-length bedding job to shoot their best. The sad part is that these various barrels may all resemble each other in length and countour....
Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM

I just found the barrel to have some contact with the stock fore end (slip of paper binds) at two places. Althought I am sure there was no contact when I first received the gun a couple of years ago (and the gun was not accurate then either), I will get this contact removed , then retest for accuracy as the next step. I suppose the stock "moved" a bit over time.

If that does't fix the problem, I will trythe pressure point suggestions. Re getting a specific#'s of pressure, I am thinking of using a spring scale to pull on the barrel up from the stock with , say, 10# force; then measuring the gap created between the barrel and the fore end; then using shim stock to duplicate that gap when thespring scaleis removed. Does that sound workable or does anyone havea better technique?

Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would reccomend going up in pressure same as going up in charge weight of powder when reloading.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mark2007

I just found the barrel to have some contact with the stock fore end (slip of paper binds) at two places. Althought I am sure there was no contact when I first received the gun a couple of years ago (and the gun was not accurate then either), I will get this contact removed , then retest for accuracy as the next step. I suppose the stock "moved" a bit over time.

If that does't fix the problem, I will trythe pressure point suggestions. Re getting a specific#'s of pressure, I am thinking of using a spring scale to pull on the barrel up from the stock with , say, 10# force; then measuring the gap created between the barrel and the fore end; then using shim stock to duplicate that gap when thespring scaleis removed. Does that sound workable or does anyone havea better technique?
Thanks Mark

That is probably as good a way as any. A slightly different method I used was to fix the stock upside down firmly in a checkering cradle and put a piece of wire around the barrel just in front of the stock forend tip. Then I hung a 10# (to start with) weight from the wire and then measured the gap. I didn't have a small spring scale of the type you mention, which would be as good, or maybe even better.