Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Cost effectiveness of reloading???? >

Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Everybody is right here except I don't see anyone putting a value on time. If you don't enjoy reloading or find it tedious, and you count precious time, then its not for you.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 AM

bigcountry
I guess that I am really saving money then. The way I see it, Reloading is relaxing. At least it is to me. It is that little bit of quiet time at home that i like every now and then.. Now for me to get that same quiet time, I would need to beWAY out in the woods on a big hunt, (which we all know costs lots of $$$$$$, or on a beach in the islands, with a cold drink n my hand which also costs lots of $$$$, and that's just the drinks.)

I mean really, for those who do find it relaxing to some extent, can you put a price on doing something that you enjoy?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the climbing price of copper (Brass is mostly copper) the value of reloading will only increase as it recycles the largest factor of components the case.

I'd reload even if it cost the same as I like the custom taylored ammo and haven't bought a factory box of ammo in thirty years.

As to your time.....what a joke.....what would you be doing if you wasn't reloading?.......something free?.....like reading a free book?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

With the climbing price of copper (Brass is mostly copper) the value of reloading will only increase as it recycles the largest factor of components the case.

I'd reload even if it cost the same as I like the custom taylored ammo and haven't bought a factory box of ammo in thirty years.

As to your time.....what a joke.....what would you be doing if you wasn't reloading?.......something free?.....like reading a free book?
You are correct, as is Big Country. I still say that reloading can save you money if you start small, and don't think you need everything in the Midway or Graf's catalog to do it correctly! And yes, reloading will be even more of a money-saving proposition as the price of factory-loaded ammo keeps creeping up and up.

The other day, I saw a box (20 rounds) of Federal .416 Rigby ammo loaded with 400-grain solids listed on a gun auction site for $176.00 (for crap sake!! $8.80 per shot!) I can buy those bullets for $1.00 apiece, and load those same rounds using once-fired brass for no more than $60.00. I realize that this is an extreme example, but it does illustrate what I'm talking about!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

My .270 WSM has a case life expentency of maybe 3 reloads. My 300 Winchester Magnum maybe 2. My Remington Ultra Mag - maybe 2.
If that is the case,you are loading far too hot,or you are doing something wrong while reloading.My cases including the 7mmstw and the 300ultramag provide 6 to 8 loadings using full power hunting loads.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Why is it a joke. Makes no sense whatsoever. Time is important especially these days. Point being, if you don't enjoy it, its not going to be worth it.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

My .270 WSM has a case life expentency of maybe 3 reloads. My 300 Winchester Magnum maybe 2. My Remington Ultra Mag - maybe 2.
If that is the case,you are loading far too hot,or you are doing something wrong while reloading.My cases including the 7mmstw and the 300ultramag provide 6 to 8 loadings using full power hunting loads.
Holy Cow, I have to agree with stubble. I can get 5 loads easy for RUM with max loads. I currently get well over 7 loads (annealing ever 3 loads), out of my win mag with 3100fps 180gr loads.

You have some serious issues with your loads if your only getting that.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM

I reload and tend to save iffen only because I have a great deal of cross polination twixt rounds.
I do 7x57 which crosses over to my 7mmTCU and .223 (7mm slug in a .223 case)
I do .30-30 and .357/.38 which cross over to .30 Herrett and .357 Herrett (.30-30 case necked down ~2/3 and either a .30 or a .357 slug)
As you can see I do a lot of "odd balls/wildcats" that aren't available "over the counter". The other one I do is .45-70 but thats BPCR and not smokeless in my case. Yea I can get .45-70 from Goex but its also ~$25/20 round and given that I also shoot .50 traditional BP, reloading that makes more sense than not...

Keep yer powder dry,
D.