Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Is reloading cost effective? >

Is reloading cost effective?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is reloading cost effective?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Is reloading cost effective?

I have been kicking around the thought of getting into reloading for a couple of years. I know some of the advantages are creating a pet load for your guns and that it may be fun. But, after researching all of the equipment needed and the price of bullets, powder, primers, etc. is it still cost effective? The initial outlay of money is big ($250-$500) and I would have to shoot a butt-load to make up for it. Calibers I own that I could reload for include .223, .270WSM, .338 Win Mag and .45/70. Bullets for the .223 still look in-expensive but the other three can be $0.70 and up making a complete round a dollar or more.

I'm sure most people will say it is worth it right off the bat but consider that I will be starting from scratch. Press, trimmer, dies, chrono, etc. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is reloading cost effective?

Startup cost and learning can be costly! I already had the equipment from my dad and it is a recreation and relaxation for me when I do it. It does give you the ability to taylor loads and experiment.You can cut cost with ebay and boards like this one if you decide to reload.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Handloading is always going to more cost effective, unless you are only going to be shooting the really cheap promotional/sale ammo. One must weigh the cost of initial start up cost with the amount of shooting to be done too. Basically, you are not going to save money outright by handloading but are going to be able to shoot twice as much for the same outlay of dollars. Only you know what lays ahead in your shooting future, but I would highly reccomend it if you are somewhat younger. If you have a spouse or children, it's another way to share quality time together with and something that can be passed on just like Rloving said above. When you look at the big picture of handloading there are variousgains in doing so.

You dont have to start out with every new gizwidgit either. There are a few starting packages availalble from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman etc. They will supply every thing needed to get you started.Other options are looking at"for sale"boards at local gun shops/gun ranges, looking in the newpaper and even yard/garage sales.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

DoubleA is right on. When I started reloading MANY years ago, I was basically a newlywed and didn't have much extra money for "stuff" that the wife thought wasn't needed. Through some careful scrounging and with the help of some other shooting and reloading friends, I soon got some decent used equipment at real reasonable prices. It was enough to get me started. The updating and refining came later. In fact, that part of it never stops for me now. But times are different now, also.
I highly recommend reloading to almost anyone who likes to shoot a lot. Particularly if you are into handguns or claybird sports. It almost becomes mandatory then. You may find it beneficial to get a loading manual such as the Lyman 28th edition and read it through. It will give you an idea of the processes involved, and if you then feel it may be something you don't wish to pursue, you won't have spent a sum of money on equipment you may never use or have to sell. If possible, talk with a reloader. Someone from a local gunshop may be able to help you with this. Watch the actual craft in action if you can. It almost becomes a non-issue of cost if you seriously get bitten by the bug. And, as you stated previously there is no satisfaction greater to me than handcrafting your own ammo that generally shoots soooo much better.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't end up shooting more than you used to, good luck, it's definetly cheaper. I'm going to be at break even next year. It will have taken me 3 years to shoot enough to make buying the press and everything.

My total to buy everything including the dies and cases and powder etc.... to roll my own on about half my rifles was closer to $900.

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what your definition of "cost effective" is and what your intentions are. While component prices are on the rise the cost of factory ammo is through the roof. Don't forget you have to shoot enough to be able to see the savings. Check out ebay for presses and dies, etc. that is if they haven't banned that stuff as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like as has been mentioned, you don't have to buy the "best" reloading equipment to start with and you don't have to buy it all at once. Shop around and figure out what you need and what you want and then look for good deals to fit both your needs and wants.
As as was mentioned, the more you shoot the more you'll save. I'll be popping the primers on over 1000 rounds in the next two weekends on prairie dogs, not counting the rimfires. If I were to compare what that would cost me if I had to buy factory ammo. compared to what I can reload them for, it would become crystal clear as to the "cost savings" of reloading.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 AM

I see that you shoot a .338 Win mag. and I am going to guess that can get pricey to shoot. Not that the others can't get there too, but, some things just cost more. For me, it was a no brainer. I bought an Armalite .338 Lapua Mag, and back when I bought it, ammo from Black Hills, and Dakota was about 80-85 a box of 20. I bought the dies for that and got to it. For me, I was able to reload that rifle for right around $20 a box or so. Sometimes a little more, but generally, $20. Figure the 15-20 boxes worth that I have reloaded for that gun

15 low end boxes loaded
x 60 average savings per box
------
$900 in savings.

Figure that is shooting Sierra Matchking bullets, Vhita Vouri Powder, and Match Federal Primers on Lapua brass. I bet I could have saved more $$$ with other componenets.

That more than covered the cost of all my reloading equipment, and upgrades to electronic scales and dispensors...etc.

I dont remember the exact numbers for reloading pistol, but I want to say that I was reloading for about $3 a box for 9mm and .45

Good Luck, have fun and be safe.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my view, you own some pretty standard calibers there.....so they should be loaded by the factory fairly cheaply compared to some others....

reloading will certainly save you....but then you have to add in yoru time....what's yoru time worth? trim/size cases etc....once you get a favorite load downthen sure.....I think you'll be cookin, but even when you know all of that, how fast can you load a box of ammo? I'm unssure. I crunched somenumbers and noticed that reloading brass you already own is where the biggest savings came in.....but if you were to buy all new componets, powers, brass, bullets, primer...and simply loaded them, you'd barely come off ahead.

I don't think many guys take into account what their times worth......but if you're doing it for the enjoyment etc....have at it, but simply to save money....then I'd consider that aspect too and its probably cheaper IMO just to buy ammo.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Like any hobby it cost money to do. That is the enitial investment for the basic reloading kit and some tools like calipers, trimers, and tumbler. But after that you can now afford to shoot more. Other than a die set, brass, powder, primers, and bullets for each cartridge.

So If you had only one cartridge and only load say 100 rounds a year a lee classic would be fine and pretty cost effective. But if you hada fewother cartridgesto load andyou loaded100 to 200 rounds for each of them. A RCBC or Honady reloading set would be better. The latter runs about $300 and in time another $150 for a tumbler, trimmerand more tools. After that other than a new dies for each new cartridge your set for life.

Quick Reply: Is reloading cost effective?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.