Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 chronographing some 357 mag loads today >

chronographing some 357 mag loads today

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

chronographing some 357 mag loads today

Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default chronographing some 357 mag loads today

I chronographed some 357 loads today. My best one was loaded with 9.6 grains unique with a 125 grain montana gold JHP I got an average MV of 1376 fps in my 6" barrel ruger GP100 which I was more than happy with even though the book stated a MV 1585 fps from a 5" barrel.

Then just for the heck of it I decided to chronograph some factory UMC 357 mags with 125 grain soft points and they chronographed an average MV of 1799 fps from my GP100 I was literally blown away by this I could not believe my eyes, because of disbelief I ran another 6 rounds through it this time with a average MV of 1798 fps. I then shot another set through my 2" barrel taurus and they had an average MV of 1430 fps. I cant find any listed velocities on remingtons page for this load. then looking at other brands with the same weight bullet are only showing MV's of 1400 fps from 6" barrels.

All I can say is that this is one sick load remington is selling under their UMC line..
anyone have any Ideas on how to get this kind of performance in a handload? just imagine that kinda velocity with a better hunting bullet it would make for one kick butt hog load. we're talking rifle performance from a handgun... also if anyone knows of any listed ballistics for UMC 357 mag ammo please share I would seriously love to know what velocity remington markets this load at.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: chronographing some 357 mag loads today

I checked out my G&A buyers guide for '04 it shows that remington at 1450 out of a 4" bbl. A 160 grn kieth design I'm told is quite the big game slayer and can be driven to about 1250 in a K-frame S&W H-110 I think .
Old 06-17-2007, 10:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: chronographing some 357 mag loads today

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

I chronographed some 357 loads today. My best one was loaded with 9.6 grains unique with a 125 grain montana gold JHP I got an average MV of 1376 fps in my 6" barrel ruger GP100 which I was more than happy with even though the book stated a MV 1585 fps from a 5" barrel.

Then just for the heck of it I decided to chronograph some factory UMC 357 mags with 125 grain soft points and they chronographed an average MV of 1799 fps from my GP100 I was literally blown away by this I could not believe my eyes, because of disbelief I ran another 6 rounds through it this time with a average MV of 1798 fps. I then shot another set through my 2" barrel taurus and they had an average MV of 1430 fps. I cant find any listed velocities on remingtons page for this load. then looking at other brands with the same weight bullet are only showing MV's of 1400 fps from 6" barrels.

All I can say is that this is one sick load remington is selling under their UMC line..
anyone have any Ideas on how to get this kind of performance in a handload? just imagine that kinda velocity with a better hunting bullet it would make for one kick butt hog load. we're talking rifle performance from a handgun... also if anyone knows of any listed ballistics for UMC 357 mag ammo please share I would seriously love to know what velocity remington markets this load at.
Well, its quite possible. I get better than that with 22gr of H110 and 125gr XTP, but usually I find UMC loads one of the faster powders, I guess to save money and its plinking ammo. 1400 is pretty typical with unique and HP38 loads.