Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 To shoot thru or not >

To shoot thru or not

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

To shoot thru or not

Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To shoot thru or not

RR....Amen. And thanks for the "ruined meat" part. I neglected to say that in my post. As a side note, I know that the shoulder shot people advocate what they do, but I have personally been on way too many chases for deer who were shoulder shot and never recovered. You punch a hole through the "boiler room" and it's yours. Period.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
DM

The bottom line is, VERY few folks these days use such a small round for big game huntingthat they HAVE to worry about expending all the energy into the animial to kill it! Most folk these days use a sledge hammer to kill a fly!!!

Here's a couplepicts i took of a "meat buck" i harvested that makes it "perfectly clear" on whether a bullet should exit or not!

I walked up to him, took a pict, rolled him overand tookthe second pict...

DM

entrance,

exit,

Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think I am smart enough to figure out all the Physics of the bullet.I just shoot them behind the front leg with my .300wm and they die.Somerun alittle some drop,just use a good bullet and hit them where it counts.I can tell you when the moment of truth is up onme the last thing I am thinking about is THE PASS THRU OR RETENTION.I really dont think that with modern firearms it is that big of a deal,a left over theory from the old days.We are tending to over analyze some of this.If our bullets deposited all of there energy like we are saying on a animal it would fly through the air and I havent seen that before.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some graphic pictures of my last deer, shot with a 7mm Rem Mag around 50 yards away using a Scirocco 150g bullet near 3000 fps.

http://www.powerandfury.com/j02deer2.html

Total pass through both lungs, the deer ran 30-40 yards and piled up so I took my eyes off him. When I got to the spot he wasn't there. Blood tracking by my wife turned him up another 20 yards further on the back of a log stone dead.

If you want them to drop at the shot, use a more explosive bullet like a Ballistic Tip. You'll probably ruin more meat with this bullet if you don't hit both lungs and you might have to worry about shooting through the shoulders or other "less-than-perfect" angles.

If you want to leave a little more room for error choose a stronger bullet. You might have to track them and they'll likely run a little ways but they'll die if you hit them right. I shoot Accubonds, haven't been lucky enough to have a shot at anything yet 'cept a coyote but I feel good that bullet is perfect for deer and elk and black bear so that's what I'll stay with, and they aren't too expensive either.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Nice pics . My Hornady 3033's make the same holes maybe bigger out of my .30-06' at 2600 at 70-75. As a foot note a 185grn patch ball in .50 over 100 grns of pyrodex clicks in at 2250 (same as an 06' 180) at150 yrds it probably won't exit but inside the organs are jellied and ruptured/puntured . I guess I'll just keep wacking spiders with sneakers , as opposed to flys with a sledgehammer . Aside from the blood trail the question remains , is it reallynessary to shoot through ?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
DM

Aside from the blood trail the question remains , is it reallynessary to shoot through ?
Apparently you don't put anywhere's near the importance on that blood trail and exit hole that i do....

As for your Hornandy bullet doing it also, will the Hornandyalso make a hole like that through a big bull moose on a quartering shot??? I've done it with the same load/bullet combo on numerous big game animials, in fact i've lost count on how many times it's worked for me...

DM
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 AM

I've shot & killed a pile of deer with just about everything from a 223 to a 300Rum (including several pistol cartridges, 45 & 50 Smokepoles, archery, and pick-up trucks). Deer are not that tough & it does not matter if you shoot through or not. If you disturb the vitals they will die.

I have found high shoulder shots with a minimum of a 85gr .243 diameter to be the best stopper. With frangible bullets shrapnel (bullet or shattered bone)will find it's way to the spine to disable, not to mention other physics touched on by RidgeRunner. It doesn't matter if it goes completely "through" or not. Long as it goes at LEAST into the vitals (splashes won't work that great[:-]). I have had many bang/flops with & without passthroughs.

Shots behind the shoulder, generally result in tracking. Passthroughs do help in initial tracking but LOTS of blood later on is actually coming out of the nose/mouth (with lungshot).
Just think. We ALWAYS want the bow to shoot through the deer. If you shoot the boiler room, they always die. Why can't a bullet do the same thing. (I have found frangible bullets are quicker killers here)

I like to have the deer at the spot of impact. I shoot for the shoulder-blades & could care less what the bullet does after it goes 7/8 through the deer. If I want one just to eat, I'll wait for a good shot, whistle, & then shoot the head. You don't have to worry about a passthrough then either!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, Man!!! We're not gonna start talking about head shots again, are we???
Old 07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

The perfect bullet will do this;
[ol][*]Accurately reach the deer[*]Penetrate[*]Expand,causing massive damage inside[*]Hold the bullet jacket and core together[*]Maintain bullet integrity/weight as much as possible[*]Exit the deer!!!!!!!!!![*]Yes, exit woundsARE a desireablebenefit![/ol]I like Nosler Partitions!

For the record...I'm totally against head shots; they ARE NOT a hit or miss proposition as many would have you believe.

Behind the Shoulder andHigh Shoulder shots are fine...but not head shots.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The nosler ballistic tip is a pretty poor bullet for deer if you shoot them at 50 yds at high velocity, most will separate and go all through the meat.
As a side note I am curious as to what your idea of high velocity is. I use Nosler BT bullets out of a 270 Win and have shot several deer from 40 to 200 yards and have yet to have one "separate and go all through the meat". I understand there were more problems with BT in the early stages of their development, but I have yet to have one fail to exit.

That being said I like having two holes for a bloodtrail and I am sure most hunters here in the South will agree with me. No matter where you shoot a deer you cannot be 100% certain it is going to drop right in its tracks. In some of the thickets around here you can lose a deer within 40 yards if you don't have a bloodtrail. Maybe bloodtrails are not as important in wide open country, I don't know.

Quick Reply: To shoot thru or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.