HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To shoot thru or not
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Power
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To shoot thru or not

Here's some graphic pictures of my last deer, shot with a 7mm Rem Mag around 50 yards away using a Scirocco 150g bullet near 3000 fps.

http://www.powerandfury.com/j02deer2.html

Total pass through both lungs, the deer ran 30-40 yards and piled up so I took my eyes off him. When I got to the spot he wasn't there. Blood tracking by my wife turned him up another 20 yards further on the back of a log stone dead.

If you want them to drop at the shot, use a more explosive bullet like a Ballistic Tip. You'll probably ruin more meat with this bullet if you don't hit both lungs and you might have to worry about shooting through the shoulders or other "less-than-perfect" angles.

If you want to leave a little more room for error choose a stronger bullet. You might have to track them and they'll likely run a little ways but they'll die if you hit them right. I shoot Accubonds, haven't been lucky enough to have a shot at anything yet 'cept a coyote but I feel good that bullet is perfect for deer and elk and black bear so that's what I'll stay with, and they aren't too expensive either.