Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Very Interesting >

Very Interesting

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Very Interesting

Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Spike

Default Very Interesting

Had an interesting deal happen last time out. I'm handloading my 308's with 180 grain CT Silvertips and 41.5 grains of IMR 4895, CCI primers.
Have found that 41.5 grains is about right for my rifle. Shot a bunch at
100 yards, nice groups at 2" high of center. Went over to the 200 yard
range, shot a bunch and they were consistently 4" high of center.
I thought that this round would be flat at 200, not rising still. Next time out I plan to see what happens at 300. Might also be able to borrow a
chrony to see how fast they are turning out. Anybody else had that happen with a 308 load?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Very Interesting

That does sound a bit odd. How high is your scope mounted? If you have really tall, like a see through, scope mounts it might be possible that it would be higher at 200 than 100. I ran some numbers through my ballistic program and I had to put the scope 4" above the center of the bore and a velocity of 3000 to get something that would producenumbers close toyourresults so I'm not sure what to think. At a velocity of 2600 to 2700 and a more typical 1.5" scope height, it should be within an inch of the same at 200 as 100.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: Very Interesting

Hi David,
I do use see thru 1" scope rings. The 50 mm end has only 3/8" clearance to the iron sights, so they are needed. Looking foward to seeing what kind of velocities I'm getting. We'll know here in the next few weeks.