Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What is the fastest way to trim cases? >

What is the fastest way to trim cases?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What is the fastest way to trim cases?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is the fastest way to trim cases?

I have been using the Lee case trimmer chucked up in my Dewalt 12v drill and I am about sick of that idea already. Sure, it works good and is faster and less painful than turning them by hand, but it is still a pain in my neck... literally. What are some better ways to trim cases that arent going to break the bank?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the fastest way to trim cases?

Trimming is a pain the the neck no matter what system you use unless you want to spend a few hundred $$$ on a high end set up.

The lee system isn't too bad, its still a pain though. Onc eyou get a rythym down its somewhat fast, I combine several steps:
1. Put case in shell holder, with finger friction on th eholder, press trigger lightly to tighten holder.
2. Trim.
3. Debur/chamfer.
4. Run a lead remover cloth over the case for one pass followed by a rag to dry it. (shines the cases up nice)
5. Hit reverse, finger friction on the shell holder to loosen. repeat steps 1-5.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that trimming cases while listening to the Rolling Stones to be quit enjoyable. Surpassed only by Pink Floyd. I do not consider trimming to be a pain in the butt. As a matter of fact I consider any time at my reloading bench as good times. Tom.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do enjoy the process of reloading, and even enjoy trimming cases, that is until my neck starts cramping. I have had two shoulder surgeries and my neck has a few bulged discs in it, so holding the drill and trimmer tweaks on it to some extent. I have been looking at that Lee Zip Trim, has anybody had any experience with it?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you clamp your drill in a vise?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

i've just resigned myself to hand trimming while watching tv or while sitting on the porch. more enjoyable for me than using the drill or pulling the zip trimmer.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

This might help in your system, really helps me out and I've been working with my hands all my life. I purchased a 2" hardwood ball at a local specialty shop, drill a hole so that about 1" of the trimmer sticks out and epoxied in in, it's much easier to hold on to that 2" ball that that skinny little shank
Old 03-20-2007, 06:03 PM
bigcountry

You might be trying to do too many cases at one time. I try to not do more than 20-30 cases at a time. I do however do 100 at a time on occasion if I get a new batch in. Trimming is something that doesn't have to be done every time you reload. Just when it reaches max case length.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rjhans53-That is a great idea!!! Tom.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rjhans53

This might help in your system, really helps me out and I've been working with my hands all my life. I purchased a 2" hardwood ball at a local specialty shop, drill a hole so that about 1" of the trimmer sticks out and epoxied in in, it's much easier to hold on to that 2" ball that that skinny little shank
I will definately have to try that. Great idea.

Quick Reply: What is the fastest way to trim cases?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.