HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   What is the fastest way to trim cases? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/185248-what-fastest-way-trim-cases.html)

TUK101 03-19-2007 08:49 PM

What is the fastest way to trim cases?

I have been using the Lee case trimmer chucked up in my Dewalt 12v drill and I am about sick of that idea already. Sure, it works good and is faster and less painful than turning them by hand, but it is still a pain in my neck... literally. What are some better ways to trim cases that arent going to break the bank?:eek:

Briman 03-19-2007 09:37 PM

RE: What is the fastest way to trim cases?

Trimming is a pain the the neck no matter what system you use unless you want to spend a few hundred $$$ on a high end set up.

The lee system isn't too bad, its still a pain though. Onc eyou get a rythym down its somewhat fast, I combine several steps:
1. Put case in shell holder, with finger friction on th eholder, press trigger lightly to tighten holder.
2. Trim.
3. Debur/chamfer.
4. Run a lead remover cloth over the case for one pass followed by a rag to dry it. (shines the cases up nice)
5. Hit reverse, finger friction on the shell holder to loosen. repeat steps 1-5.

HEAD0001 03-20-2007 12:09 AM

I have found that trimming cases while listening to the Rolling Stones to be quit enjoyable. Surpassed only by Pink Floyd. I do not consider trimming to be a pain in the butt. As a matter of fact I consider any time at my reloading bench as good times. Tom.

TUK101 03-20-2007 06:21 AM

I do enjoy the process of reloading, and even enjoy trimming cases, that is until my neck starts cramping. I have had two shoulder surgeries and my neck has a few bulged discs in it, so holding the drill and trimmer tweaks on it to some extent. I have been looking at that Lee Zip Trim, has anybody had any experience with it?

Briman 03-20-2007 07:28 AM

Can you clamp your drill in a vise?

shewe 03-20-2007 11:39 AM

i've just resigned myself to hand trimming while watching tv or while sitting on the porch. more enjoyable for me than using the drill or pulling the zip trimmer.:)

rjhans53 03-20-2007 03:54 PM

This might help in your system, really helps me out and I've been working with my hands all my life. I purchased a 2" hardwood ball at a local specialty shop, drill a hole so that about 1" of the trimmer sticks out and epoxied in in, it's much easier to hold on to that 2" ball that that skinny little shank

bigcountry 03-20-2007 06:03 PM

You might be trying to do too many cases at one time. I try to not do more than 20-30 cases at a time. I do however do 100 at a time on occasion if I get a new batch in. Trimming is something that doesn't have to be done every time you reload. Just when it reaches max case length.

HEAD0001 03-20-2007 11:50 PM

Rjhans53-That is a great idea!!! Tom.

TUK101 03-21-2007 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: rjhans53

This might help in your system, really helps me out and I've been working with my hands all my life. I purchased a 2" hardwood ball at a local specialty shop, drill a hole so that about 1" of the trimmer sticks out and epoxied in in, it's much easier to hold on to that 2" ball that that skinny little shank
I will definately have to try that. Great idea.