Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads? >

Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?

I was reading an article the other day and the author said that he got better accuracy with regular large rifle primers with some of his magnum loads than when using magnum primers. I wondered about this, I know that I have heard of some people using magnum primers in their .06 and .270 rounds for more velocity, but I had never heard the opposite until now.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?

"Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?"

Nope. I only use them with ball powders in the .375 H&H Magnum, and with all powders in the 416 Rigby - I use the Federal 215's as magnum primers, none of the other makes.....
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TUK101

I was reading an article the other day and the author said that he got better accuracy with regular large rifle primers with some of his magnum loads than when using magnum primers. I wondered about this, I know that I have heard of some people using magnum primers in their .06 and .270 rounds for more velocity, but I had never heard the opposite until now.
Some cases with rounds like the 270 with fast powder, mag primers can actually drop velocity. I have tried regular LR primers in my 300RUM's and STW's. I never saw much difference.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Spike

I just learned the art of reloading from my Dad who has been doing it for over 35 years. I asked him about the different types of primers. He mostly uses Federal GM215M and I am using that too. But he has other rifles that the GM210M work better. Recently he has started trying CCI brand and finding it to work as well on some rifles. My Dad said that just like every rifle is different, each type of primer can cause a different result. You can only know how your rifle will respond by trying each primer.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Fed 210M's in magnum cases and didn't see any real benefit. Seems to me the 215M's work just a tad bit better.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Some cases with rounds like the 270 with fast powder, mag primers can actually drop velocity. I have tried regular LR primers in my 300RUM's and STW's. I never saw much difference.
Right!! Use of magnum primers in standard cases like the .270, .30/'06, etc., does NOT always give higher velocities - often, just the opposite happens.....
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Yes/No. Call experts like the techies at Sierra....toll free. Don't ask a question on a forum like this filled with novice reloaders without a clue. Using mag primers in a 270 or '06 is stupid. Be professional. Regards, Rick.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Only one way to find out if they will work for your setup!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: 48thguns
Yes/No. Call experts like the techies at Sierra....toll free. Don't ask a question on a forum like this filled with novice reloaders without a clue. Using mag primers in a 270 or '06 is stupid. Be professional. Regards, Rick.
Man, seriously what is your problem? Thats the second post that i've seen you slam the members of this forum by calling them novice reloaders without a clue. I would much rather rely on an answer I receive in this forum than one I get from the help lines because I know (some) of these people are honest and are not trying to sell me the next newest and greatest thing. Instead of making yourself look like an *** why dont you just keep quiet.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, thats kind of what I was thinking too. I am a novice reloader and that is why I am posting the questions that I do is to find out from more experienced reloaders the answers or opinions to my questions.

Quick Reply: Do you always use Magnum primers in your Magnum loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.