Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Handloads vs Factory Loads. >

Handloads vs Factory Loads.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Handloads vs Factory Loads.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Handloads vs Factory Loads.

How many here test a new rifle with factory ammo before starting to reload for it? Many years ago it was next to impossible to find factory loads that would rival a good handload. I have found that with the ammo companies using more and more premium bullets, that many times now its hard to beat the factory stuff.

I will always reload but when I buy a new rifle or even a used one, I first check it with factory loads and save the brass. Part of this is to find an accurate factory load in case I need a gun for a season and am caught without time to work up loads or run out of components.

I must add that we as handloaders have forced the ammo makers to make a better product.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Handloads vs Factory Loads.

JamesB-

I also do this. Helps to know what your rifle will do if your handloads fail to arrive at your hunting destination.
The brass is fireformed, so at that point, I neck size them and reload 'em!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

How many here test a new rifle with factory ammo before starting to reload for it? Many years ago it was next to impossible to find factory loads that would rival a good handload. I have found that with the ammo companies using more and more premium bullets, that many times now its hard to beat the factory stuff.
You are certainly correct, the factories have made giant strides in providing good ammo!

However, about theonly time I'll fire factory ammo is when that's the ONLY way to get empty brass so load development can begin. This only happens these days for oddball cartridges for which no new empty brass is available.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a new gun or at least new to me, I'll sight the scope in with inexpensive factory loads ( if there are any anymore ), save the brass and let the load development begin.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also generally buy a box of factory ammo when I get a new gun, if I don't already have some sitting around. I think it's a good idea to use it to sight in with, and get some sort of notion as to what kind of grouping you are getting. Load development and comparisons can start after that.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2007, 12:44 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: James B

I will always reload but when I buy a new rifle or even a used one, I first check it with factory loads and save the brass. Part of this is to find an accurate factory load in case I need a gun for a season and am caught without time to work up loads or run out of components.

I must add that we as handloaders have forced the ammo makers to make a better product.
I do. REason is I usually get a rifle on a whim, and have to order the dies. So while waiting for the dies, I can't stand it and have to shoot it. Also, a great baseline to work against.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM

I would agree if you are reloading to SAMMI specs. But I almost always chase the lands. I've yet to see a factory round that could shoot with a reload that is either in the lands or very close to the lands. For hunting purposes the premium factory loads are more than adequate.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

BC, I did that recently and couldnt believe the consistency in the factory federal ammo I bought. We chrono'd it (right before the chrono died) and they were all amazingly within a few FPS of one another and I mean 2-3. My handloads are no closer than 20 to 30 FPS from one another. EJ
Old 02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
bigcountry

There has been times where I cannot duplicate factory loads. I am on my 4th powder with my STW, and still can't get the long range accuracy I got with Fed 160gr accubonds. Close, but no cigar.

I get 2MOA accuracy at 100 yards with my 460Smith pistol with factory 200gr, I get 3 to 3.5MOA best I can do with reloads.

Just keep trying to find it. Its a fun process.

Quick Reply: Handloads vs Factory Loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.