Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Confused about crimping bullets >

Confused about crimping bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Confused about crimping bullets

Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Confused about crimping bullets

I have decided to start reloading for my 300 WSM Browning Stainless Steel Stalker. Price of factory ammo is getting a little stiff.

I have a question about crimping the bullet. I have read that if your going to use a bullet for hunting, it should be crimped, rather than just seated into the neck of the case. Now most bullets that I have been looking at do not have a groove in them, and in order to crimp them they must have this "groove". Or so it is written.....

When I look at the various factory loads (Winchester Power points, Federal Fusion, Remington Coreloks, etc) I don't see a "crimp" per say, it just looks like the bullet is simply pressed into the case.

Do I really need to worry about crimping the bullet into the case if I'm planning to hunt with it? If I have to, how in the world to I crimp bullets that have no groove manufactured in them for crimping?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Confused about crimping bullets

Highly disagree. I do not crimp any of my rifle ammo. Even when I shot 300RUM. I have tried it with mixed results.

Oops, I do crimp my 45-70. You will find most if not 90% do not crimp rifle ammo. Keep it to pistol's and straighwalled rifle calibers.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are in the habit of dropping your ammo on the ground a lot, or are shooting 400+ gr bullets out of the dangerous game rifle, crimping isn'tnecessary in a bolt action.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

If you feel the need to crimp your loads use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It will work with any bullet "groove" or not.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1169867624.2053=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

Many reloaders use the Lee Factory Crimp and claim increased accuracy. Give one a try, they only cost $8. Here is some interesting reading on the LFCD.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I crimp is for lever guns with a tubular magazine, otherwise no crimp. It's up to you though.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

The only time I crimp is for lever guns with a tubular magazine, otherwise no crimp. It's up to you though.
I was thinking the same thing when reading through this post. In a tube fed levergun you are pushing one bullet into the other to "force" it into the tube. I have had 30/30 reloads without a crimp push the bullet into the case further thus increasing the pressure of the give round. Not only that, but accuracy is diminished from round to round as a result. So yes, for levergun ammo, I would advise crimping but for magazine ammo I wouldnt think that it is neccessary.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

THe SPeer #13 manual has a pretty good section on what to crimp or not. Give it a read if you get the chance. I dont crimp and of my rifle rounds either.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crimping is not necessary in most rifles, but is advisable in a few as discussed above. If the bullet does not have a cannelure or crimping groove then the best advice is to use a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp. Just simply buy a taper crimp die. However be careful. Crimping can adversly affect chamber pressure. Work up to a crimp the same way you work up to a max. load. Tom.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only rifle cartridges I crimp are my straight walled calibers and anything that I plan to use in a tube magazine rifle and semi autos.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I think a better way to state that would be "work up a load based on crimp pressure"

Quick Reply: Confused about crimping bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.