Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case Cleaning

Old 12-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Case Cleaning

I received an RCBS case tumbler for Christmas but there aren't many directions on how to use it. Should I lube, deprime and resize the cases and then run them through the tumbler or should I clean them and then start the reloading process? Also, I have both walnut shell media and corn cob media and also some polishing compound that came with the media. Which media should I use?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Case Cleaning

Deprime first. The priming residue is abrasive. If I'm going to clean the brass anyhow, I don't want to get the grit and dirt in my resizing die. A universal decapping die is handy for this.
I prefer the walnut media.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

jboyer:

I inspect my cases thoroughly, and remove any grime. I thenpreform casepreperation as needed, and last tumble them. I next prime, charge, and seat the bullet.

The walnut shell is used for cleaning, and the corn cob with polishing compound is for polishing. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: handloader1

jboyer:

I inspect my cases thoroughly, and remove any grime. I thenpreform casepreperation as needed, and last tumble them. I next prime, charge, and seat the bullet.

The walnut shell is used for cleaning, and the corn cob with polishing compound is for polishing. Good luck.
If I lube, deprime and resize the cases and then clean, do I need to relube the cases after cleaning? Or will the bullet seat okay without relubing?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

No need to re-lube cases for the bullet seating operation.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the reason I like to tumble the cases after I work them is to remove the lube. Most lubes can contaminate primers and powder causing a miss-fire. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Itumble my cases first, then resize. I want 'em nice and clean before going into the resizing die.

As far as media is concerned, I preferWalnut. Itworks a little faster and shines the brass just fine when a little Flitz is added to it.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Once fired I tumble the brass to clean the brass before resizing and depriming. After lube and resizing I wash my brass in simple green I have in a 5 gallon bucket, rinse and let dry. Re tumble, also check the petsmart for corncob litter, it's larger in size and I mix it 50/50 with tumbling media.

I DO KNOW IT'S OVERKILL