Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 head space issues >

head space issues

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

head space issues

Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Default head space issues

At the local gun show this weekend i got a hold of a reminton model 30 express In 30-06Its a nice old rifle by it will only chamber rounds if pulled from the mag and will not push the ejector claw over single rounds. about every 3 round the fireing pin will not set off a primer. when one does go off it backs out the primer a enough to be noticed but shows no outer high pressure signs, case leinght is normal, no bright spots on rimor primer flattening. This is with federal factory ammo. Any ideas other than take it down to the smitty ?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: head space issues

feeding only from the magazine is normal the extractor claw was not designed slip over the rim. if you force it you risk breaking the extractor claw. with primers backing out of the pocket its sounds like it very well could be a head space issue. id have a gun smith check it out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 PM

thats strangemytwo 1917 will both chamber loose rounds, I was under the impression that there were not many changes from the action other than the loss of the ears on the rear site.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

they might but the claw extractor used on the 1917 was copied after the mauser and was designed to control feed from the magazine.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

im looking at my 03-a3 which basically has the same bolt design it will push feed singles. my guess you might have a serious head space issue thats causing the rounds to seat too deeply in the chamber and the bolt is stopping just short not allowing the extractor to slip over the rim.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

but the mause bolt design was designed to be fed from the magazine and not necissarily singles. atleast thats what ive been told by my gun smith and I trust his expertise.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

im looking at my 03-a3 which basically has the same bolt design it will push feed singles. my guess you might have a serious head space issue thats causing the rounds to seat too deeply in the chamber and the bolt is stopping just short not allowing the extractor to slip over the rim.
NO rifle has a firing pin long enough to fire a cartridge with THAT serious of a headspace problem! However, this situation does call for a headspace gauge check by a qualified person! Low pressure can also cause the primers to back out, but this should not happen with standard factory ammo....
Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 AM

The Remington Model 30 rifle is the first commercial bolt action rifle in .30-06. It is a modified Model 1917 military rifle, also known as the Model 1917 Enfield. They were sold from 1921 to about the mid 1930s. Get the headspace checked ASAP.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

NO rifle has a firing pin long enough to fire a cartridge with THAT serious of a headspace problem! However, this situation does call for a headspace gauge check by a qualified person! Low pressure can also cause the primers to back out, but this should not happen with standard factory ammo....

thats true i didnt even think about that