Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 A Question About Lee Dies... >

A Question About Lee Dies...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

A Question About Lee Dies...

Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Default A Question About Lee Dies...

To you folks that like Lee dies, what do you like about them? Is there a feature in particular you like about Lee dies, or is it just the price? I'm being sincere with my question. It's not meant to start a flame war or upset anyone, so please don't take my question as incendiary or start a fight of your own. I am seriously interested in learning why Lee dies are so popular, other than the obvious price difference with other manufacturers.

I have one set of Lee dies, in .454 Casull, and I don't like them. I don't like the lock rings. The o-rings work, but when I remove the die from the press, I lose my adjustments. It seems like I need to re-set my dies each time I use them, which is a pain. I have replaced the lock rings on the die body with more conventional set-screw types, but that adds to the cost of the dies. Maybe I am using them incorrectly? How do you keep your settings from changing when you remove the die? I really don't want to spend $50 on another set of dies, if I can get these to work correctly.

Please don't think I am bashing Lee products here. I have an Auto-Prime and think it's great. I also use their Factory Crimp dies for my AR-15 ammo, .375 H&H, and many pistol calibers. I've got no beef with Lee, I just prefer other manufacturers dies.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A Question About Lee Dies...

I like them because they are priced well and come with the shell holder. I also have seen no other dies that load better ammo so I keep going back to them. I am used to the lock rings and that part is a non issue to me.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the price.
I like the collet neck die.
The load data that often comes with the dies is on the weak side[:'(]

The locking ring is both good and bad. Bad- it loses its adjustment when removed from a press. Good- if you use a lee turret press, you never have to remove them from the turret.

The locking rings on rcbs dies leave a lot to be desired. They used to send them with a steel locking screw, but now use a crappy brass one that you cannot tighten without stripping it out, and yes I do put a piece of lead shot under the screw in an attempt to get a better grip on the threads. Way I see it, Lees function as they should and are at least as good as RCBS's.

I think Hornady makes a really good set of locking rings- they are split with a screw that tensions it. They cost about $4 a piece and Ihave a few that I use for pistol reloading.

Other bad things- the lee collet die is sometimes has a mandrel a little on the large size. I recently bought one in .308 and I couldn't get it to work at all with nosler partitions, but It worked well with Sierra game kings (the SGKs have a long parallel portion on the bullet that is .308" in diameter, while the Nosler is more tapered and has a very short area that is at full diameter.) Against better judgement, I tried tightening the collet die down a bit, and I ended up ripping the threads out of the top screw.

I also like the shiny finish on the dies- its doesn't seem to collect gunk and grit as easily and is easier to cleanthan the matte rougher finish on other dies.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no use for Lee Dies. I purchased one set, and they will be my last. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy Dan,
I only use Lee dies and have found no reason to change. I use the carbide dies and haven't had a problem through a couple thousand rounds of 45LC and alot of 30-06 shootin'.
I like the price
The shellholder and neat little storage case is cool
The carbide don't need the excessive lube you have to use with some others.
Oh, did I mention the price is right.
I bought 2 different caliber sets for the price of one RCBS
I don't high volume load. I only load for myself and my Dad. Maybe for the high volume stuff, you need to get the dies that come with a payment plan. I'll stick to Lee until I find a reason not to.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

To you folks that like Lee dies, what do you like about them?

Price!!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been both completely satisfied and dissatisfied with Lee dies. My biggest issue is quality control. While some are very well made others should not have passed qc. Whenever possible I try to buy Redding dies now. However I will say that every time I have dealt with Lee customer serviceit was top notch.