Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question. >

Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question.

I bought a bag of 270 240gr cast bullets from Bullet Meister off from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I started reloading some of them and have found about 1 out of 3 to be missing either part or all of the lube from the lube groove in the bullet. Now the bullet is still tacky and lubed up well, but is just missing the lube from the lube groove. Can I still reload with these? Or should I relube them or send them back? Sending them back will cost me nearly as much as what I paid for them in the first place. Opinions will be appreciated. If I do reload with them will I sacrifice any performance?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question.

I thought I was going to be able to help on this one...as I've gone pretty much all LCB in my 44 and 41 magnums. Never had this problem. I know Hornadys have no lube ring and just have that 'tacky' lub on the bearing surface of the bullets. That makes me think its alright...BUT those bullets were designed to no have a lube ring full of lube. Can you find a phone number for the manufacturer? I'd call before I made any decisions.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
DM

Depending on how hard they are and what speed your pushing them, they can be used as is, or you can relube them.

If they was mine i'd probable relube them...

DM
Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are these going to be the first cast bullets you have shot in the gun?

I shoot alot of cast bullets in my 44's. Some I lube, and some I do not. But I castall ofmy own bullets, There are no short cuts. There are alot of factors that that can affect amount of lube in the grooves. The two main factors are age and temperature. Bore condition of firearm is as important as amount of lube on bullet. I would have no problem shooting them without relubing. Relubing is a pain in the **s. Can you tell if the bullets are old? How hard are they?

Go over to the Cast bullet Association forum page(I am a member), and post your question. There are some real experts over there. Tom.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bullets are not all that old, maybe a year in the bag at the most. They have the blue lube in the groove and I am figuring that the lube was probably knocked out of groove by the bullets in the bag banging on each other during shipment. The gun they are being fired in is a new 1894 44 Magnum Marlin.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I asked about the age, because the older they get the harder they get. And I asked about the gun, because it is not good to mix cast bullets and jacketed bullets in the same barrel. Tom.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Re-lube them with that Lee lube. A little messy but effective.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with JamesB, the Lee Alox would be the easiest. But it will not fill the grooves. Tom.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

What happens if I shoot both jacketed and cast bullets in the same barrel? Does it mess up the riflelings?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:15 PM

No, it wont mess up the rifling. Exsisting copper wash that you have not cleaned out seems to gather leading. getting as much of the copper out as possible is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Reloading cast bullets in .44 Magnum question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.