HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - want to start handloading
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: want to start handloading

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

i want to get into handloading.how can i learn everthing i need to and is there a good starterpackage. thanks for any help
My advise is a little different than everybodies. Go and buy yourself a Rockchucker kit, and go in head first. It will come with a manual. Cause for me, just having a manual with no toys to play with or have reference too, would be useless.

I would get the kit without the trimmer, and regular ole balance beam. I would purchase along with that, a powder trickler, dies for one caliber to start on (full length), 20-30 dollars set of calibers and a redding trimmer. I hate my RCBS trimmer. I still have a cheap set of cabelas calibers, and they are accurate. I have a proof set from work to check them. I also have a set of mitutoyo digitals and starret micrometers, that I mostly use, but you can get those later. Handy but not a must have.

Then decide on what bullet you will start out loading. I suggest the nosler manual myself. I have them all, and nosler is the most used. If you mostly load hornady, get hornady.