Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 My harvest with a ballistic tip >

My harvest with a ballistic tip

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

My harvest with a ballistic tip

Old 11-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My harvest with a ballistic tip

I shoot the 165 grain BT's in my 30 caliber rifles. I am color blind, but I believe the tips are green? These bullets shoot great out of my 30 caliber's. I have shot deer from 5 to 350 yards with these bullets. I have not lost a deer yet. Very few even took a step, and I am talking dozen's. I think it is a great bullet.

By the way, that is a fantastic deer. Tom.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

took a large doe last Tuesday evening with my 35 Whelen AI shooting 225 grain BT's (2550 from the muzzle)... the shot was just under 130 yds on a downward angle as i was on the top of the ravine.. she was on the bottom.... you can see performance by entrance and exit wounds.... both lungs and the liver were nothing but liquified for the most part... she took the hit and stumbled sideways for 10 yds and went down, dead when she hit the ground... hope the photos aren't too graphic but it shows performance of the big BT... which i feel is a well constructed and good performing bullet... too bad they discontinued cause ya know... everything has to be "Bonded" now... bummer....

We don't need these Graphic Photo's to describe Bullet performance.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

ROOSTY....talk us through those pics

Is the big hole an exit wouind? Did you get an exit wound?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

yes the big hole is the exit wound... i took her on her left side.. you can barely see the entrance through the fat... you can see what looks like a round circle inside the cavity where the bullet entered... right behind the front shoulder... she was apparently facing me slightly as you can see the exit wound is further back... it was a pass through shot.... the big .358 BT didn't expand upon impact but once inside it did a real number and it took out some ribs upon exit leaving the large exit hole... i was very surprised when i skinned her and didn't find a bruise on each side the size of a frisbee... which is usually what i see with my smaller zippity duda calibers....

now i must say that smaller 150 grain 7mm BT's have given me issues in the past... erratic performance in terms of wound path and bullet travel changes inside the body cavity as well as lack of expansion at close range (~30 yds) on a couple of animals....

Therefore I am just trying to comment on the larger heavier jacketed BT's (338's 35;s 375's) for deer performance.... In all honesty, the ONLY reason i shoot the 225 BT from my 35 Whelen AI is because i am being a real cheapass... they perform well, shoot exceptionally, are long and i can seat them out to the rifling easily, are very (or were) affordable and i was convinced this is the kind of performance i'd see on deer and i am pretty sure, on elk... i'm just one of those practical engineer type fellas...

I don't particulary care for pass throughs as i like to recover and inspect bullets... but every broadside shot (except for one with the 280) i've taken whether it be with my 270, 280 or the 35 whelen AI, have all passed through... and every deer shot in this manner has gone down within sight... a good portion in their tracks... furthest traveled was 30 yards...

So, it's my opinion, from experience, that for larger caliber rounds, meant for deer, the BT is quite acceptable and quite capable in the performance department. Don't shell out 40 bucks a box for partitions or trophy bonded bearclaws or other "Premium" bullets because you "think" you need them.... in all honesty if hornady made a 225 interlock with a larger aspect ratio i'd probably be flingin those.. cause i've seen what they'll do firsthand... from an '06.... and i am sold on their performance...

anywho... hope that all makes sense...

J