Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 OK to resize loaded ammo? >

OK to resize loaded ammo?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

OK to resize loaded ammo?

Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default OK to resize loaded ammo?

SITUATION: I just had my 22-250 M70 rebarrelled, and now all 400 rounds of my neck-sized ammo won't chamber. The ammo goes almost all the way into the chamber, but the bolt won't close. There are some scuff marks about 3/8" from the end of the case, which seems to indicate that the case is just a hair fat near the end.

QUESTION: Can I remove the decapping pin from a full length die, lube the case well, and then run the round up into the die just enough to squeeze down the case?

I really don't want to pull all the bullets from 400 rounds, and was hoping this solution would work.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK to resize loaded ammo?

You must pull the bullets.For one thing,the bullet and the case,will be longer than the depth of the die.2,you could set off the powder charge?
Your safety is worth more than 400 bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

You can get a case body die. But for me, the cost wouldn't be worth it. Problem with that, is your shoulders sound long too. With the bullets in, you will not be able to size the case the way it needs to be. Pull em, keep the primers in, recharge, and reseat.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:15 AM

Please don't do that.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:15 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Wow! That was fast! Thanks for the rapid feedback, gentlemen.

As far as pulling 400 bullets goes, I don't have the time for that. I'll find a buddy with a larger chamber, make him an offer he can't refuse on my reloads, and start with fresh components.

Yeah, changing barrels with 400 rounds probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but this is the first time I've ever rebarrelled anything, but I wanted to retire my old pipe before varmit season started. (Besides, the 'smith had assured me that my old ammo would chamber OK when he was done.) Live and learn.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: Would using a full length .308 die eliminate concerns about contacting the neck and/or shoulder? Maybe I'll try my '06 die. Comments?

Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are easier ways to commit suicide. Tom.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're not willing to pull the bullets and save them and the powder, I feel you should just get rid of everything and start over. Although I have done it, I can't recommend you resize primed cases even without the decapper pin. JMHO.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Well, I tried a .308 die, but that was a no go. (308 is 3/1000" larger, so it didn't squeeze anything.) A buddy is going to lend me a 22-250 body die; perhaps that might work. Stay tuned.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Don't be a knucklehead and do that. You're asking for trouble. Why don't you just force the bolt closed with that model 70 on each round. That will size them just fine.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like the cases are too long and need to be trimmed to the right length or the new barrel is a little tighter than the original. best to get rid of the 400 loaded ammo and start over with new brass. after resizing a new case and trimming it to the OAL try chambering it in the rifle and see if it chambers right. if it does then your set. one question, why would anyone reload 400 rounds at a time? i only reload what i need for hunting and sighting in. with my extra cases i resize them and prime them. than all i have to do is powder them and seat bullets and im ready to go again.

Quick Reply: OK to resize loaded ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.