Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Anyone load shotgun slugs? >

Anyone load shotgun slugs?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anyone load shotgun slugs?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Anyone load shotgun slugs?

My home is a shotgun state (actually, its a "Firearm Season" with your choice of pistol, shotgun, MZL) and with season coming around I was wondering if any of you have played around with 'em. Not considering it for this year 'cause I want to give my .44mag SBH Bisley Hunter some first blood. Buuuut, I've never been happy with my slug set-up. 870 magnum reciever with a scope and cantilevered hastings barrel. (an older one, I remember a sticker on it that said not to shoot coppersolids through it, and I don't think they still come with that warning.) Anyways, I'll probably drop about $60 bucks on various slug again this year hoping I find something that does better than the 6MOA its been doing. I know components are available...but I've never heard discussion here or anywhere else about rollin' yer own slugs.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Anyone load shotgun slugs?

I looked into years ago. but found only one place that sold the prjectile and found another that sold some molds. Never did find a sabot dealer. So I kinda forgot about it. I am sure theier are other vendors out there by now. If you find them, you ought to post what you find.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Anyone load shotgun slugs?

Bigcountry. I'm running into the same trouble you did. Here's the fruit of my labors:

Midway has some "dangerous game" slugs and a something else wich is nothing more than a .730 ball with fins stuck on the end. Both about $0.50 a piece. Neither one hold much appeal to me.

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/estore/index.cfm?catid=23&id=2&cfid=10202807& cftoken=96170633
sells just the Lightfield IDS sabot slugs at about $0.80 a piece. A big step up...but I've hears and seen first-hand some questionable stories about there terminal performance. (Deer shot quartering towards me at about 70yards. It ran about 80yards. No shoulder-bone hit and still didn't exit. I clipped the trachea as well. Found four little chunks of lead that wieghed 250-ish grains. Those chunks came from a 1 1/4oz (that's around 550grains) slug.)

There's also something out there called "blue-force" sabots are something like that.

Nothing in the form of true "roll your own" sabots that let you chose the actual projectile.

Also if your still interested in trying it or just plain messing around with slug guns again you need to check up on shotgunworld.com under the "Slug Gun" section inthe forums and thenhttp://xsorbit31.com/users5/slugshooting/ which is the forums at slugshooting.com

I did run across a company called Dixie Slugs. $7.50 for 5...but you have to order 5 boxes to offset shipping costs. They make two or three different types. We're talking hard-cast sabots in the 700gr-600gr area going around 1400fps. These things look ideal...EXCEPT I'm not ready to spent $40 without knowing how accurate they are. (I'm gonna work on getting my buddy to split an order with me)