Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Newbie to rifle reloading >

Newbie to rifle reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Newbie to rifle reloading

Old 07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie to rifle reloading

Hey, I would like to start reloading rifle cartridges (6.5x55 Swede and .35 Whelen right now). I reload shotgun shells, so I know about being careful, following the directions with extreme caution, etc. What would be a good starting reloaderkit for me. I'm on a budget, about $300-350 CDN. Is the Lee Challenger any good? I see a kit with it, set of dies, powder measure, shell holder, load data, powder funnel, Ram Pride tool and lubricant for $70.99. I have a reloading manual (Hodgon 2004 Annual Manual).Sorry for the long post, hope you guys can help me out,

Cory
Old 07-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Newbie to rifle reloading

If it was me I'd go with the RCBS rockchucker supreme starter kit. It might have something to do with me using mostly RCBS presses and dies for many, many moons and never having any problems with them.
Ron
Old 07-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The LEEchallenger press is not verydurable.With extended use,the links will fail.The LEEclassic press is much stronger and will last much longer.I prefer the RCBS rockchucker press myself.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I'll probably look for a RockChucker now. Thanks,

Cory
Old 07-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Konaboy, look on e-bay!

It is certainlyNOT NECESSARY to spend a fortuneto get into metallic cartridge reloading. It is ill-advised to buy NEW equipment when you can get ANYTHiNG you need off of internet auction sites, usually for less than half of retail price, and a lot of that stuff is new or used very little. This includes reloading dies for many oddball calibers that would cost a small fortune if you bought them new!

Over the last two years, I've been able to buy an RCBS Rockchucker in near-new condition off e-bay for $50.00, several die sets for under $20.00 apiece, plus several Lyman-Ohaus M5 scales for under $30.00 each.

Welcome to metallic reloading. Have fun & good luck!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Konaboy, look on e-bay!

It is certainlyNOT NECESSARY to spend a fortuneto get into metallic cartridge reloading. It is ill-advised to buy NEW equipment when you can get ANYTHiNG you need off of internet auction sites, usually for less than half of retail price, and a lot of that stuff is new or used very little. This includes reloading dies for many oddball calibers that would cost a small fortune if you bought them new!

Over the last two years, I've been able to buy an RCBS Rockchucker in near-new condition off e-bay for $50.00, several die sets for under $20.00 apiece, plus several Lyman-Ohaus M5 scales for under $30.00 each.

Welcome to metallic reloading. Have fun & good luck!
Well, you just said my favourite online store right there, off to ebay I go
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, this is right up Charley's alley, surprised he hasn't hit it yet.

I think the lee's are junk. Some of the older stuff might be fine, it will load ammo don't get me wrong.

I like the rock chucker the best. I have a old one, but went to my friends to load on his sepreme and really like it. The primer catch is a nice touch. I like the lymans too.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Goodness, this is right up Charley's alley, surprised he hasn't hit it yet.

I think the lee's are junk. Some of the older stuff might be fine, it will load ammo don't get me wrong.

I like the rock chucker the best. I have a old one, but went to my friends to load on his sepreme and really like it. The primer catch is a nice touch. I like the lymans too.
I let it slide, boy, at your suggestion. Let's see,I did give MY background and experience level: "My opinions are based on, at this point, 31 years as a handloader. I load for 38 centerfire cartridges, 23 of them rifles, from .223 to .577/450 Martini, and 15 handgun, from .32 ACP to .45 Colt. I shoot about 3500centerfire rounds a year, roughly 2000 handgun and 1500 rifle.I don't say my way is the only way, I do try to give suggestions about what works for me."
Noticed you never did get around to answering YOUR experience level, boy. What is it? Three whole years? Maybe five? With your vast store of knowledge, I'm sure you are willing to say. Otherwise, let the adults talk in peace, please.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 PM
bigcountry

As I said, how does a smart fella like me profit from internet "supposal" truth and comparison? I tell ya what Charley, I will do you a favor,put some money in my pocket and it might be worthwhile. Just go to paypal deposit some money in my accountand I will give you a bargain price of 20 dollars and answer all your much desired questions.

Goodness,sad all these years and you wasn't smart enough tolearn a few things. How doesone go 31 years and stillnot know how to reload. It isn't that difficult. Guess you were definately not top of your class. Make it worth my while.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 AM

Nice evasion, BC. Not willing to state your experience? Don't have much,I suppose.

I'm not sure what I did to push yor button. Wish I did know, I'd use it to turn you off. You do seem to have uncommonly bad manners, even for the internet. Guess your momma never taught you any better.

Quick Reply: Newbie to rifle reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.