Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Wal-Mart and reloading? >

Wal-Mart and reloading?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Wal-Mart and reloading?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wal-Mart and reloading?

I went into my local Wal-Mart the other day and noticed something strange. RCBS dies, RC kits, Alliant powders, Sierra and Hornady bullets, and some other reloading stuff. Anybody else seen this?

Since there is nobusiness anywhere close to my knowledge that has reloading supplies, this could be handy if I need something in a pinch.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wal-Mart and reloading?

The store in my area must have sent stuff to your store. They recently remodeled the store here, and remodeled the sporting goods section out of most all hunting and shooting stuff. It has become virtually worthless as a place for any kind of supplies of that nature. Don't even carry turkey calls anymore. As with guns, you can't have too many turkey calls either.
I guess I just don't understand big business. Having a "Super" store in a hardcore hunting area such as ours and then gutting the sporting goods department of hunting and shooting supplies makes no sense at all to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM

Our local Walmarts don't carry any reloading stuff at all. I was surprised when I checked out the sporting goods dept. in the Walmart in Salida, CO the last time I was out there and found a pretty fair selection on reloading stuff.

I guess it all depends on your local market. Around here, there's more than enough sporting goods stores to meet the demand. In B.F.E Colorado, there aren't very many sporting goods stores and the ones that are around cater to the out-of-state hunters and rape us! In that case, WM is filling a void in the market by carrying stuff that the locals want/need at a better price than anybody else in town.

Hmmm...Get raped at Joe's sporting goods, or get the same thing @25% off at WM? Wanna guess where I'm going to buy my stuff?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think its necissarily getting raped by the local mom and pop shops, but the fact that walmart buys things in such bulk amounts, that they can keep the prices lower. I personally would rather spend a couple more dollars for a pound of powder at the local gun shop, and keep the guy in business that will do my gun work also, then to spend less at walmart, put the small guy out of business, and have no one to go and have gun work done, or sit and chat with on a weekday afternoon.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Spike

We have a sporting goods store that is going out of business here in Watertown. They are probably the highest priced place in 150miles. I will pay a couple of dollars more for some items, but to buy a box of Nosler 25cal 110gr accubond bullets from them was $24 when I can buy them at Scheels in Sioux Falls or Cabela's for $16. Reloading dies that Scheels or Cabela's sells for $22 are $32. Get the picture why they are going out of business. Even mom and pop stores need to be somewhat competative in todays economy. A couple of dollars is OK, $10 on a 22$ item is way too much to pay for local service.

Mark
Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Pueblo, Co, not to far from Salida, they (Wal-Mart) don't have **** for reloading other than some shotgun stuff.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM

Whats with wal marts trashing the hunting section???? I've been in 3 stores that no longer carry firearms that did before. One didn't hardly carry anything at all for deer season last year. They suck... getting to big for thier britches. Time to shop else where.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I went into my local Wal-Mart the other day and noticed something strange. RCBS dies, RC kits, Alliant powders, Sierra and Hornady bullets, and some other reloading stuff. Anybody else seen this?

Since there is nobusiness anywhere close to my knowledge that has reloading supplies, this could be handy if I need something in a pinch.
I have never seen any reloading supplies or equipment in any Walmart store anywhere. And the one I currently use, in Hagerstown MD, is allegedly the biggest and busyest Walmart in the U.S., according to them...

There was a discount store outfit in TX and OK years ago called Gibson's. The ones in Copperas Cove TX (Fort Hood)and Lawton, (Fort Sill) OK had tons of reloading supplies and firearms related stuff. They were great! I don't know if they still exist.......
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy 90% of myhunting stuff Cabela's

Piss on Walmart!!!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beckley, WV and Wytheville, VA both have reloading supplies.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart and reloading?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.