Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 will this cause flyers??? >

will this cause flyers???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

will this cause flyers???

Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default will this cause flyers???

My stock on my 700 XCR is touching right at the end of the stock(forend )... I can slide a piece of paper freely between the stock and barrel except the very end(forend)... I took my dremel out and sanded the last 2" of the stock... Now I can slide the paper all the way down...

Do you think this will help my gun shoot better???
Old 07-04-2006, 10:08 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: will this cause flyers???

Maybe. Sometime the 10lb upward pressure that remington puts on them helps them not to have flyers. But now that the gun is freefloated, it needs to be tightly bedded in those stocks. My favorite is both pillar bedding and glass.

I have one old 700 that the tip of the stock has the pressure point it takes away the flyers.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can a synthetic stock be glass bedded very well???

Do you know a good gun smith???
Old 07-04-2006, 04:46 PM
bigcountry

Synthetics can be glassed bedded easier than a wood stock in my opinion. I know of one in Westminster, and another in Hanover, PA.

Another thing you might consider is, doin yourself. If you got a demel, its the only tool you need.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking about that... I seen sorta how it was done on the Outdoor Channel... I just might give Mid south SS a call...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

After reading this thread yesterday I got to thinking about how hard my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag was to take apart and put back together. And by that I mean, removing the barrel and action from the stock. I got to looking at it and it touched the stock Everywhere! I bet the stock pushed up on the barrel with more than 15 lbs. of force.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $25 dollar Black and Decker dremel and after an hour of careful sanding, it is now free floating.

I then thought about bedding the action, but after checking the mating surfaces with some blue stuff that I use to check the mating surface of valves in a head after a valve job (can't remember the name of the stuff right now), everything looked fine so I'll leave it alone. Going to check to see if I get some smaller groups out of it this weekend.

I have also heard about putting some pressure on the barrel to keep flyers from happening as well. I am sure that it just isn't as much as what mine already had.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how you make out at the range with the altered barrel bedding. I had a reply post all typed up the other night about bedding glass stocks vs. wood, and when I went to post it, it kicked me off. Needless to say I was a little upset and turned the computer off and went to bed. Just as I'm going to do now.