Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What causes flyers? >

What causes flyers?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What causes flyers?

Old 05-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Default What causes flyers?

I am struggling with a load for a 300 WSM A-Bolt. So far it likes 200 grain accubonds but there is always a flyer. I have found a load that I can shoot a group of three shots. The first shot is perfect, second shot is 1" to the right, 3rd shot is touching the hole of the first shot. It does this consistantly. Would this do to the barrel heating up after the first shot?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What causes flyers?

If the third shot is touching the first shot,it is not likely due to heat in the barrel.If barrel heat or beddingis the problem,the following shots usually continue to walk away from the first shot.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gandilamont

I am struggling with a load for a 300 WSM A-Bolt. So far it likes 200 grain accubonds but there is always a flyer. I have found a load that I can shoot a group of three shots. The first shot is perfect, second shot is 1" to the right, 3rd shot is touching the hole of the first shot. It does this consistantly. Would this do to the barrel heating up after the first shot?
If thats what its really doing, then those groups are not bad.

A-Bolts have thin barrels. And they are light and you are shooting a higher performance round. If I was you, I would be pretty happy with 1MOA groups with a 200gr load.

But to answer the question, several things.My defintion of fliers is little different. It an outlier, 2 Std deviations away from the group. And a group needs really 5 shots at least. You stats folks know what I am talking about.

A-Bolts are great guns but the factory glass bed sucks. Its easy to redo. Thierglass bedlooks like a globof bubblegum.I also doing likeaction screws to be slotted. Ican putconsistent torque on allen screw heads with a torquewrench.

I have a abolt right now that needsrebedded. It will shoot 2 shots great, but3-5 bad. I get 1.2 MOA but where I use it, it doesn't shoot bad enough for me tomake time to rebed.

Second, maybe ammo. Has any ammo done well with it? Any factory ammo.Bullet runout, is a culprit I findwith alot ofreloaders fliers.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Well, I have never fired a factory round out of it. I have tried loads from 165 grain through 200 grain and it is just all over the place. The 200's seem to do the best. It bugs me because I have a walmart speacial model 70 (30-06) that I have done nothig to and it shoots a group that you can fit a nickle over and the fancy A-Bolt cant shoot a group worth poop!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
bigcountry

Man, I thought you said it was shooting 1Moa? Thats pretty good.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:33 PM

2 out of 4 shots are. I cant get it to shoot two shots in a row that come close.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:58 PM
bigcountry

Well, when buying guns, there's no guarntee because of name or whatever. Have some work done on it. I suggest rebedding at first. Maybe checking action screws. Quick headspace check.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many different powders,and how many different styles of bullets have you tried?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:19 PM

I have tried Reloader-19, Reloader-22, IMR 7828 and IMR 4350 I think. And just Nosler partitions and Accubonds.

Quick Reply: What causes flyers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.