Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Made the decision; Now Need Help >

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Made the decision; Now Need Help

I know if you buy a RCBS case trimmer, it comes with pilots. Just do like we do, and go to google, and type in case trimmer.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
bigcountry

From a quick lookup, they all run around 70 bucks. I will say the RCBS is not the best one anyway. I don't like it. But I have used it for alot of years. Instead of buying a digital scale I would invest in a power trimmer from gracey. They run around 200 dollars. But I hate trimming cases. Its about the worst job of reloading. Wilson is the most accurate straightest cut but the most time consuming and you have to buy shell holders for every caliber.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The RCBS kit is on sale at Cabela's for $249.

I use a Redding trimmer and trickler. The trimmer came with the necessary components.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

North Texan.......Great signature!! Congrats!!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I've kind of decided to go with the Lyman from price perspective.

I noticed though that the Cabelas kit comes with a digital scale and not a 3-beam balance type. Given the choice which would you choose?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037524216107a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=40&Ntt=lyman&noImage=0 &Ntk=Products&QueryText=lyman&Ntx=mode +matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=283295

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I could not get along without my digital scale. However, you do need a good balance scale to check you digital scale.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

So I've kind of decided to go with the Lyman from price perspective.

I noticed though that the Cabelas kit comes with a digital scale and not a 3-beam balance type. Given the choice which would you choose?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037524216107a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=40&Ntt=lyman&noImage=0 &Ntk=Products&QueryText=lyman&Ntx=mode +matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=283295

Thanks

Tom
Well, instead of getting fancy stuff now, I would get the basics you need to reload. Like a balance beam.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could not get along without my digital scale. However, you do need a good balance scale to check you digital scale.
No you don't.You just need check weights to check any scale.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Amazing how many replies ther are to a simple question, isn't it? Every reply is right, and that's what sometimes makes it difficult for a new handloader. There is very little poor equipment on the market now, pretty much everything will work and work reasonably well.

If you buy an RCBS press, for instance, it will be loading ammo long after the worms have eaten you. If you buy a Lee press, you can load thousands and thousands of rounds oni t, but it will wear out faster than the RCBS.

After fiddling with a Lyman and an RCBS case trimmer, I have settled on Lee's system. I chuck the cutter and length gage in my drill press, and can trim a bunch of brass uniformly (somethingI always had trouble with on the Lyman) and quickly.

I like Pact's electronic scale...keep it out of drafts and don't subject it to vibration, and it will work very well. RCBS balance beamscales are good, but I dislike the scales from Lee. Most electronic scales don't work well with a powder trickler Most also state that in their instruction sheet!

These are my recomendations, for what they are worth:

Press: For speed, get a Dillon AT500, and upgrade to a 550B if you want a progressive. I am not very impressed by the progressives available from either RCBS or Lee.
For longevity, buy an RCBS, Redding, or Lymansingle stage.
For flexibility, buy a turret from Lyman or Redding.
For price, buy a Lee. Single stage, buy the Classic, for flexibility, buy the Classic turret. Both are iron, and after they establish a track record, might suggest them in place of RCBS or Lyman. The Lee Challenger and Lee Turret are aluminum. Will wear faster than cast iron. How much are you planning to load?

Scale: RCBS balance beam, or a Pact electronic.

Case trimmer: Lee

Dies: RCBS are good, Reddings are excellent, Lee's are good. Lyman dies have alwaysseemed a bit cheesy to me.Lee does beat the others when loading military calibers. The decapper don't break when (not if) you slip a berdan primed case in by mistake. I prefer Lee carbide dies for handguns, and their crimp die is excellent.

Quick Reply: Made the decision; Now Need Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.