Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Made the decision; Now Need Help >

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Made the decision; Now Need Help

I'm going to build a box out of plywood to house the press, powder dispenser and the case trimmer and would like to reserve a corner for the scale. I'm going to put a handle at the top and latches on each side.

How big should I build the base of thebox? It can be a rectangle or a square?

I'm trying to build a portable work station. Imagine what you'd need. Lets set the max at 4' since that is about as long as I would theoretically make it.

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
bigcountry

Dadgone stat, its going to be tough makin it to be able to put up when you done in a box. You need a hefty workbench.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Actually I wasn't kidding. If one does a search on Charley, his favoriate topic is defending the Lee trash. All the way to 2004, he was singin the praises. Its just hard to believe anyone that loads more than 1box of ammo a month couldn't see the problem with a lee rig. Especially one who has been loading as long as he claims.

So anytime somebody recommends skipping the lee press, he is like a guarantee to show up defending it. He took a little longer than usual to respond this time however. Hence, somebody got thier feelings hurt. I have had several people who I have gotten setup reloading thank me for steering them away from Lee.

LOL! Wow, I leave for a bit, and find I have urinated mightly in somebody's cornflakes! Iguess diaper rash makes you cranky.

Lee doesn't need any defending from me, neither does RCBS, Lyman, diloon, or any of the other equipment I have on my bench. My opinions are based on, at this point, 31 years as a handloader. I load for 38 centerfire cartridges, 23 of them rifles, from .223 to .577/450 Martini, and 15 handgun, from .32 ACP to .45 Colt. I shoot about 3500centerfire rounds a year, roughly 2000 handgun and 1500 rifle.I don't say my way is the only way, I do try to give suggestions about what works for me.

When a new guy wants to start handloading, and says, "I want to start handloading, but I am on a pretty strict budget", how can you tell him "TSMF, either drop $400 or don't even bother"?

Tell me, BC, just what is your experience level? How long have you loaded,for what and how many?

It really doesn't matter what you think about Lee, or what I think about Lee. Truth is, Lee equipment is not as good as Richard Lee thinks it is, and not as bad as you think it is.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to build a box tomorrow and I'm trying to hammer out the details. Since the press hangs below the surface of the mount point, what do you guys thing of mounting two 4x4 with lag screws to the center of a 1.5" thick platfrom of plywood and mounting the press on top of the 4x4's?

Will the 4x4's be rigid enough if the 1.5" top plate is clamped to the table using two sturdy clamps?

I'd really like to get some opinions on this one by morning because I like to build it this weekend.

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM

4x4s should be plenty to support the press. Use a couple of 4 or 6 inch "C" clamps and you should be fine. I would recommend using a towel or pad over the table first, to ensure domestic traquility.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 AM

Still waiting for your reply, Big Country. You were ready enough to jump on my suggestions, are you not willing to share your experience level? Not trying to bust your chops here, but I am very curious. Have you ever actually used and tested that which you call trash, or are you just repeating what you have heard from gunstore commandos?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up not building a box. Instead I built a portable stand. I used 4x4 and Lag bolts with locking nuts. It feels really sturdy but I will have to see how it works while reloading. I will post pics tonight or tomorrow.

I'm currently reading the Lyman reloading manual and I'll eventuall get around to de-capping and sizing a shell when I've read enough.

Thanks for all the help guys. Pictures to come soon.

Tom
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Charley

Still waiting for your reply, Big Country. You were ready enough to jump on my suggestions, are you not willing to share your experience level? Not trying to bust your chops here, but I am very curious. Have you ever actually used and tested that which you call trash, or are you just repeating what you have heard from gunstore commandos?
Honestly charley, I thought about this. And I thought how does an intelligent person profit from this. Does it put money in your pocket or food in your stomach? Then I smarten up. I had a main goal for posting on this post. And my goal was accomplished in spades.

Yes, I have plenty of experience on the Lee single, as alot I tried to go cheap in the beginning.And paid for it. And the lee 1000 I still have, but it was given to me by another guy who tried to go cheap.I keep it around for 44mag loads only. There's really no used getting into with you. Do a search on your name and a majority of your posts are on lee on the reloading page. You havn't changed your opinion in 3 years, and I know better, so why? What does an intelligent man have to gain?

Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pic of the press. I stained it just for looks. To some of you more domesticated folks this would look like a kitchen table. However it is more or less a work bench\ reloading bench. Or soon to be anyway!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Here is a pic of the press. I stained it just for looks. To some of you more domesticated folks this would look like a kitchen table. However it is more or less a work bench\ reloading bench. Or soon to be anyway!

Nice setup actually. I didn't know if you could pull it off as a portable but looks good and sturdy.

Quick Reply: Made the decision; Now Need Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.