Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II >

Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II

Old 05-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II

This past Feb while at the RMEF elk camp I bought myself and my brother in law (300 winnie) each a box of Sciroccos II .30 Cal 180 grains. He is shooting a .300 winchester, I am shooting a .300 RUM. Anyway he can't get them to shoot worth a darn out of his gun. He has tried several different loads and it will just not group. He did like the orgional Scirocco's and even killed a few elk with that bullet. I was the one to convince him to try the Nosler accubonds and we both have used them since. I haven't even opened up my box yet. But through the summer I will try to get a load worked up with my .300 RUM I hope it works. If not I am not worried becase I already have a load worked up, 200 rounds with the 180 accubonds ready and willing to kill a elk. They group right around a inch if I do my part. I also have a 30-06 that was my grandfatherswho passed away 2 years ago. I am going to tryto work up a load with the sciroccosand that gun to see how they group. With the 06 I am not worried about speed and will keep my shots at elk under 300 yards. Here in Idaho this year we have a chance as residentsto have three elk tags in our pocket come hunting season. For me I will have a regular/general season over the counter archery elk tag. In additionhopfully I drawa extra cow (draw only) rifle tag. And if I want to spend the money I can also buya non resident left over elk tag for any unitgenerall seasonhunt I choose. If I even just get two tags I might just use that 30-06 for the rifle only cow hunt? I am getting off subject, dreaming about elk hunting again for some reason.[8D]Anyway whats your experience if any with the sciroccsand do you like them better than the accubonds? Jason
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II

I wonder if the scirroco II's foul less than they used to? If not, I won't be using em. They used to build up pressure quick in my 300RUM's. So I went with the accubonds.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still don't see the difference between old vs new Scirocco. I like the way the bullet is constructed and the pictures I have seen of expanded bullets..has to be the perfect deer bullet if you can get it to fly. Guy I know in Colorado thats all he shoots at ELK with 180 grainer and a 300 win mag. I can imagine it fouls up worse then an Accubond because of 100% copper jacket. I 'll bet if they put grooves on it ala Tripleshock it would improve immensely .
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could not get the scirocco to shoot at all accurately out of my rifles,and the fouling was extreme.Since the tsx is working so well in my 300ultramags,I won't bther trying the scirocco again.A partner of mine killed a moose with the 140gr accubond out of his 7mmremmag and the results were very impressive.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Nosler Accubonds.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM

oldelkhunter,

I'm glad to see you have had good luck with them. The recipe I had with the original Scirocco was a sub m.o.a. load. Idahoelkinstructor got me a box of the new stuff and I loaded them up exactly the same as the old ones. Wouldn't group near as well and pressure signs were evident that were not there before. I backed of 1.5 grains in .5 grain increments to see if I could find the sweet spot and get out of the pressure. Nothing doing...I would have had better groups with my shotgun[:@].

I guess Nosler will continue to get my business as my load with 200 grain Accubonds shoots m.o.a. all the time.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

300winnie, a guy I know in Co uses them and likes them. I have been scared off using them and seeing what an Accubond can do.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Spike

Nosler Accubonds
Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps I was using them beyond their capabilities, but anyway,I never like using the Sciroccos at high velocity (out of my .300 Wby for example) because they overexpanded. This caused them to not penetrate adequately and do weird things (like veering off at extreme angles) inside the animal. I also didn't care for how badly they fouled my barrel. I've since switched to the Barnes TSX and haven't had such problems.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:56 PM

I shot some of the factory remington loads for the 165 gr. out of my remington mohawk 600 .308 winchester and they were highly accurate and deadly on whitetail. Shot one at about 350 yards and it dropped like it was hit by a truck. Would like to get some more of that lot number. The barrel on the rifle is only 18 1/2" and the bullet still did alot of internal damage and made a large exit wound even at 350 yards and i know the velocity had to be low out of that barrel at that distance. This was about 3 years ago so I dont know how the new ones shoot. Might give some handloads a try. Been using Hornady custom factory sst 150 gr. and they dont drop them like the 165 gr. scirrocos did.

Quick Reply: Nosler Accubonds vs Swift Scirocc II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.