Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Took the 25-06 to the range today... >

Took the 25-06 to the range today...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Took the 25-06 to the range today...

Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Took the 25-06 to the range today...

It was nice and warm, and the wind wasn't blowing hard,but inconsistentlygusty. I took the 25-06 with some Accubonds and some 75 gr. V-Max's. This time, I let the gun cool completely between each shot for Accubonds, and might groups tightened up quite a bit. Down to 1.193" 5-shot groups. It made me feel a lot better about the Accubonds potential in my rifle.

Then I took out the V-Max's. My groups with them measured .74". The groups weren't about a half of a bullet hole from being able to cover them with a quarter. I was very, very happy with those groups. I can't wait to try some of these on coyotes next week.

Then I took out the .223. I had done some more work with my loading for Barnes Triple Shocks. I loaded them with different brass to see if I could get them to group a little better with one brass than the other. I wanted to cuss after the first couple of shots. These bullets hated the Hornadybrass I had them loaded in. And the primers were pretty well flattened. So I shot some in the R & P brass from some cheap UMC ammo I have shot. Again, the new shiny brass and the Barnes did not mix, and I couldn't have hit a barn from inside the barn. My group was already openedup to4" after the first two shots.[:@] I ran out of good brass when I was making this batch, so I had finished up with some R & P brass that I have used a couple of times. Wow, what a difference! Same everything except the brass, and my groups narrowed down to .772". I would have never thought the brass would have made that much difference. Of course, I was using a case full of 748 (28 grains), and I did notice some of the new brass had a little less room than others. I was just happy to finally get those things shooting decent with something, because I had struck out on them every time until today. These are still not my guns favorite loads, but at leastnowI've finally got auseful load for them. I have been wanting to keep a couple in my pocket, so if I run across pigs when varmint hunting again, I've got a bullet that with a little better penetration.

After taking two midterms this week, Commercial law on Monday nightand Tax Saturday morning, today was almost therapeutic. Now if I can just use my newfound tax lawknowledge to figure out a way to deduct this as therapy.....[8D]
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Took the 25-06 to the range today...

Good post! I always love the range reports.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

just had to rub it in didnt you? man why dont you come out here and get my 25-06to shoot that good.......actually I can get 2 shots touching, its the third shot that flies 4" off
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hate it when that happens, and it happens to me a lot. By the 5th shot, I was getting pretty nervous, hoping it wouldn't be a flier.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy I got one that groups like that. I was always thinkin it was a bedding problem.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

This one had problems earlier, as the barrel touched the stock on the left side about mid-way down. I took a file and some sand paper and hollowed out the barrel channel a little bit and it helped some. But completely free floated was still lacking, so currently I have about a 2" strip of cardboard right in front of the recoil lug at the base of the barrel. That helped a lot.

I need to do a bedding job on it, but I haven't gotten it done yet.