Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good? >

Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

I am going to get into reloading and there starter kits are way cheaper than any one elses. Is there stuff OK or junk?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

I personally own RCBS stuff so I dont know "first hand" however I have never heard a bad thing about them. My friend uses Lee and he does just fine.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 PM

I have no experience (yet) but I've ordered the Lee hand press for christmas. I visit many other sites besides this one. Most are hunting and/or tactical sites. I, like mossy, haven't heard anything negative about them. Here are two impressions that I get about handloading.

In regard to accuracy, the more expensive dies may give a little better accuracy...is 0.1MOA worth twice the price? I decide.

Good handloading (working up loads that your guns like, finding which components "mesh" well, and just generally "knowing your $&^#") more than make up for any differences high dollar gear will make.

I would honestly say that the money is *probably better spent on another manual or different components to experiment with.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

You may want a different scale but it'll get you going for now. I started with the chalanger press and am very happy with it. I reload 30/06 down so I don't know about the larger cartridges.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

This outfit will work just fine!!!!!I've used it,to start out,along time ago.
You will also need to get a "Lee case trimmer" to trim you cases ,[It is low cost also],and a case length gauge,[for each caliper you wish to load].These do not come in the kit and your dies for your caliper.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some of the Leepresses including the challenger are not overly strong and the linkages will eventuallybreak if you do a great deal of sizing of larger cases.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Lee equipment is built to meet a price point. Much of it is excellent, some is fair, and some isn't very good, IMO. I strongly dislike Lee's scales, for instance. Yet their rifle dies for military calibers and their carbide handguun dies are great values, even if they were priced higher. The Lee case triming system is the best case trimmer on the market, as far as i am concerned, and the least expensive.
Lee presses are not as durable as any others. They will wear faster, but the average handloader will not wear one out.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the Leepresses including the challenger are not overly strong and the linkages will eventuallybreak if you do a great deal of sizing of larger cases.
I keep hearing that and it may very well be true, but I have had a challenger for 12 years and loaded up to and including 300 Win Mag with it and it's still going strong. I don't use it as much anymore since I was given a Herter's press, but it still gets used for the 45-70. I am sure there are better presses out there, but for the money it's hard to beat. If mine broke today I would have gotten my moneys worth out of it many times over.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I keep hearing that and it may very well be true, but I have had a challenger for 12 years and loaded up to and including 300 Win Mag with it and it's still going strong.
I do personallyknow of a few linkages that have failed on the challengers.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 PM

My challenger press has held up very well. Keep the linkage lubed. I think this helps.

Quick Reply: Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.