Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good? >

Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Default RE: Is "Lee" reloading equipment any good?

I am sure there are a lot of people who don't use lee for one reason or another just like anyone don't use something for some reason. I have used lee for many years and have had no problems at all. I especially like the collet dies. My groups have shrunk a lot and there isn't any working on the cases. I like lee dies and will keep using them. But it is like anything else what some will hate others will love!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I was in your predicament a few months ago. I had been following this board for a while. Then I tracked down some of my own local sources. My concerns were cost and accuracy, in that order. Almost every one of the local reloaders that I found started with or still used Lee equipment. I ended up getting the anniversary kit myself. For the price, I received more components than any other manufacture offered. You do have to buy a few things that are not in the kit such as dies, bullets, and primers to start. Other than that every thing you absolutly haft to have is in the kit.
There are a few other things you’ll want though. You will want to get the other part for the case trimmer, which consist of a shell holder and the case length gauge for the round. Lyman makes an affordable dial caliper which helps and a powder trickler is also good to have (you wouldn’t believe the aggravation it can save). I also bought an impact bullet puller because I’m anal about the over all length being as precise as I can get it and some times a bullet has seated a hair deeper than I wanted it to.
As for the complaints about the scale written in other post, I’ll have to agree somewhat. It feels cheap. The only problem is that it works. I can’t find fault in its operation. The way you can lock the fine adjustment has worked well for me.
I have setup my whole reloading operation to be mobile. I do not have a good space to set a reloading bench up (heck, I don’t have any space at all). I used a piece of 1x6 about 3ft long to mount, both my press and powder measure to. I just use a few C clamps to mount it to my kitchen table when needed. It saved me the cost of a bench and as an added benefit I have taken my whole set up to the range with me while experimenting.
I’m using Lee collet dies and a Lee factory crimp die for 25-06rem. The collet dies are carbide so no lube is needed on the case. The factory crimp die is a breeze to use. With this set up, after a little experimentation and luck, I’m getting groups I can cover with a dime repeatedly! With these results I would have to say the Lee equipment has been good for me.

The next two things I’m planning on getting are a good chronograph and a good digital scale.

If you have any questions just e-mail me.

Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Lee makes two items I would never be without: Their Auto Prime tools and their case trimmers. Started out years ago hand-trimming brass with a Lee trimer, converted to using it withan old variable speed drill. The cutter still works fine.

Only weak link in the Auto Prime is the diecast linkage, but I've always kept mine lubed (especially the cam) and my oldest one still works well after 25 years. I'm told the newer ones did away with the diecast linkage, but wouldn't know...don't own any new ones.

The RCBS RS press is a bargain in my opinion. Has almost as much leverage and beef as their Rockchucker at a lower price, plenty durable enough for most "deer" cartridges. My scale is a Lyman, as is my powder measure, (an old Ideal).Most of the dies are RCBS. Dial calipers are now much cheaper than they were 20 years ago and are a minimum requirementfor any loading chores.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:22 PM

I have used lee dies for years and have had no problem with them. Also use a lot of other lee items. The collet dies have really worked well and groups have gotten smaller since I started uusing them.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM

I've started with the Lee Challenger and have a Lee hand press as well. Lee is not bad but I ran into issue when case forming so I went with a Rock Chucker. Most of my dies are RCBS and Hornady but I have never had a problem with Lee dies and still use the lee auto primer.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 AM

Lee is the bottom price equipment. Just like the bottom price car it will perform within its design parameters but if you want to race you have to spend more money. I started loading with the Lee Loader kit in a box - they call it the "Classic Kit" now but it was about the only thing Lee made back then. (Yes, I loaded my own to hunt dinosaurs) I loaded for two guns then; a 357 Mag and 30-'06. The '06 got sub MOA accuracy and I still have the kit. The 357 gave me some good practice shooting and honing my skills but not the best accuracy. I still have the kit. I used those old loaders with an arbor press (for pushing bearings) instead of a mallet because I kept firing off the primers when I used the mallet as suggested.
My first press was a "Rock Chucker" from RCBS and it lasted for years until I started swedging bullets and it still works but I had to machine it out for needle bearing due to the high pressures of bullet making and the wear that occured. It wasn't made for making bullets - it was made for sizing cases. I have a total offour presses now and one of them is a press by Lee. I got it from my brother who used it to try to make 6mm TCU cases and ended up with a bunch of bent cases - they bent near thebase junction due to flex in the press. I use it to make practice rounds in 38 spl for my 357. It does a fair job when just neck sizing the straight walled cases with a carbide die. I personally don't think it is adequate for doing anything else. It is, after all, a bottom line KIA and most of my other loads I want more from then that. I am an accuracy freek - if it won't stay inside 3/4 MOA it needs work. I have a 358 Win that shoots sub caliber groups with one of its loads and half inch groups with the other (hunting) loads. My old '06 and 257shoot well below MOA and my 30-30 stays below MOA (single shot - not lever). My 357 Maximum shoots sub-MOA all day long and my old 357 Mag shoots like any revolver with 25000+ rounds throughit at about 2 MOA - (used for two years in Hunter's Pistolcompetition)I keep shooting it because it is my carry gun and I trust it.
Bottom line: If you want a press that will hold up to reloading for your lifetime then invest in good equipment. If you want to have a press that will just barely meet your needs for now - investing about a third of the price of a good one then get the KIA (Lee) kit.
PaulS
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

gandilamont - midsouthshooterssupply.com has a sale on RCBS reloading equip. I just got the email today. You can get the rock chucker press, scale, powder thrower and a few other things for $219. Don't forget this is a one and done investment. The RCBS stuff will last you a lifetime with very little maintainence. I like Lee dies but not so much their presses.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

gandilamont - midsouthshooterssupply.com has a sale on RCBS reloading equip. I just got the email today. You can get the rock chucker press, scale, powder thrower and a few other things for $219. Don't forget this is a one and done investment. The RCBS stuff will last you a lifetime with very little maintainence. I like Lee dies but not so much their presses.
Me too. Well said. Regards, Rick.