Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock >

.240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock

Old 07-03-2005, 01:38 PM

Default .240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock

I am interested in getting some feedback on the Barnes Triple Shock bullets from field users. I was wondering how effective they are on deer size animals. I would like to see pictures if possible. I was wondering if anyone had any load data for the Barnes Triple Shock 6mm 85 grains with the .240 Weatherby Mag. Have a great Holiday and remember our troops!!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Default RE: .240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock

Go to the barnes bullet web site,and first ask them if your firearm needs a special twist! I fould out that a special twist is needed in the .224 cal,so i tho;ught i would pass it on. vangunsmith
Old 07-03-2005, 06:51 PM

Ido notcurrently owna .240 Weatherby, but have done a lot of load developomentforthe 6MM-284; which is a cartridge of very similar performance. You should do fine with the 85 grain TSX. The standard twist in a .240 Wby is 1:10. I have used 95 grain Barnes X bullets withsuccess in the 6MM-284 with a 10 twist, so stability should not be an issue with the 85 gr. H414 is the powder I would recommend. Barnes shows a maximum load of 50.0 with this powder/bullet - starting loadis 46 grains. You should top out close to 3450 fps if you have a standard Weatherby barrel with the 85 grain TSX. Please don't take my word for these recommended loads - consult the Barnes loading manual or the Barnes website. They could blow up your gun.

This bullet willshoot clear through a deer almost every time on a broadside shot. It is capable of breaking both shoulders, and can reach the vitals from some pretty steep angles. Great bullet for minimum meat damage, but may not be real immediately lethal on the broadside rib shot.

The 85 gr. Sierra HPBT Gameking is another good deer bullet in this weight. Better for rib shots, not as good for shoulder shots. Good luck. Roskoe.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:05 PM

Simply THE greatest hunting bullet in history. Thats all!!!

I drive a 30cal 150TSX too a tick over 3800fps and they do EVERYTHING very very very well. The TSX should be an AWESOME bullet in that awesome lil Weatherby.

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-04-2005, 05:05 PM

I haven't tried the Triple Shocks yet, but used my wby 240mag last yr. quiet a bit with .85grs XLC handloads. They worked fine on a little buck and two hogs. Plan on trying the Triple Shocks when I get around to it..refinished the stock on the gun and got to sight it in again.
Buck
Hog 1
Hog 2
Old 07-04-2005, 05:12 PM

That's a pretty good trick - get them to ride the bike out of the woods and then shoot them near the truck

Seriously, though - I was under the impression that the X, XLC, and TSX are all the same bullet in terms ofhow theyperform ongame. So I guess you will like the TSX as well . . . .
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 PM

thanks will try them on nebraska hunt
Old 07-04-2005, 09:20 PM

"...Seriously, though - I was under the impression that the X, XLC and TSX are all the same bullet in terms of how they perform on game..."

YES Roskoe, they will perform identically with regards to terminal performance. The TSX did away with a few of the quirks and "less desirable" traits that previous generations of X bullets had with them. Namely those were excessive copper fouling (by reducing the bearing surface with the "grooves" or gaschecks added too the TSX) and maybe .5-1" larger groups @ 100yds compared to more commonly held "accurate bullets" like Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra GameKings BTs..

Like I said, IMHO they (the TSXs) simply are THE best hunting bullet in the world. They are impervious to blowup (shots under 40yds@ 3800fpswith my Warbird proves that), they shoot .5" @ 100yds and will go the distance with anything you want to compare them too on the big end. What more do you need in a hunting bullet?

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the imput!! Have a geat day
Old 07-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Redallison, You have a lazzeroni!? How wicked! I dont suppose any other gunmakers are chambering in those neat rounds as the lazzeronis? Are they? I would love that little screamjet! EJ

Quick Reply: .240 weatherby Mag and Barnes Triple Shock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.