Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Belted Mag Collet Resizing Die??? >

Belted Mag Collet Resizing Die???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Belted Mag Collet Resizing Die???

Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Belted Mag Collet Resizing Die???

Anyone tried one of these from Innovative Technologies (of Fla.)? The collet is basically a steel sleeve that fits over the case of any 300H&H Mag derived case (300Win, 7Rem, Wby Mags from 340 down, etc...) it rests atop the belt and prevents un-necessary working of the brass in the lower third and mid half of the case. They claim to be able to use brass for 20 rounds, even with hot loads because of the decreased working of the cases midsection.

I have one particular 7mag Ruger that has always had an "incipient head seperation" problem aka the bright ring above the belt after only one firing which indicates case stretch and thining. It wouldn't prevent that from happening with that particular gun as it's a chamber dimension problem but if it works like claimed, it should help with caselife. I also have another 7mag and a 300Wby that I am considering getting back into reloading for but haven't talked with anyone that has used this type of collet before.

Thanks for any info,
RA
Old 07-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Belted Mag Collet Resizing Die???

Read a few articles on them,in theory it seems like a good idea,but also read that they don,t seem to be that good. Problems with the collet releasing the brass.I don,t think i would get one of those units. vangunsmith
Old 07-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is a brilliant solution to a relatively non-existent problem. Not worth the 80 bucks or so it costs.

As regards your 7mm Mag. that has "incipinenthead separation" probleems, I'll bet these are caused by your having your FL die screwed into the press too far, and you are setting the shoulders back too much each time you size the cases. This makes them stretch more every time you fire them, and eventually they'll separate. If you screw the die out so it only resizes the case necks about 2/3rds of the way toward the shoulder, this will stop. Many belted-round chambers are on the long side,or the FL die may be a tad short, or both. If these conditions exist, and you set the die so the shellholder contacts the bottom of it at the top of the sizing stroke, you are in effect creatingwhat would amount to excessive headspace, if the case were a non-belted one. So the shoulder stretches forward AGAIN every time it is fired.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a problem with belted cases that required such a die.eldeguellosummed things up pretty nicely.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Another "fix" for the Wonderful World of Belted Magnums is to have your local gunsmith set the barrel back a little, to where the headspace winds up right at .218". It will no longer close on the "go" guage, but will still chamber any SAAMI spec ammunition without difficulty and will considerably extend your brass life. Particularly if you also resize your cases as Eldeguello describes . . . . .
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 PM

I guess my Rugers' barrel is just to far out? The head seperation I spoke of is present when firing brand new, factory ammo! [:@] The gun shoots well, has never given me trouble and was the first gun I ever bought myself when I turned 18 in 1989. I don't hunt with it much anymore (in fact a cousin in MS has had it for 2-3 years) but have been thinking about reloading Barnes' TSXs for all my rifles and was gonna load up some for this one as well (I have another 7mag and a 300Wby so the collet would get more use than just one gun). I know the collet wouldn't prevent the ring since it already happens on virgin ammo, but thought maybe it would relieve stress on any brass I loaded from here on out.

Thanks for the info,
RA