Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture >

Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture

Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture

I originally was using sierra 168 grain matchkings on top of 45 grains varget with neck sized remington brass and fed 210 primers with a COL of 2.77 and was getting sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I changed the bullet to a 165 grain gameking using remington brass only this time FL sized and used 45 grains varget with fed 210 primers and a COL of 2.77 just like with the other load. heres a pic of my results 3 shots @ 100 yards, I dont know what to do this will be primarily my hunting load should I just leave it or should I try to tune it to give a little better accuracy? The rifle is a Remington M700 mountain rifle 308 win.. Sofar I can tell its gonna be a good load just trying to decide should I play with the COL a little bit first or adjust the powder charge first? just trying to get a little insight from you more experienced guys.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture

Well, thats my exact load and COL. I am happy with it. I am sure I can get better accuracy but was looking for velocity over 2800fps and this load gives me that with around 1" groups at 100 yards.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Try RL 12 with this bullet. Around 43 grains is maximum in my gun. See if it doesn't tighten up a little.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, thats my exact load and COL. I am happy with it. I am sure I can get better accuracy but was looking for velocity over 2800fps and this load gives me that with around 1" groups at 100 yards.
what rifle are you shooting it in BC? you really getting 2800 fps with 45 grains varget?? how long is your barrel mines 22 inches Im only expecting to get around 2650 to 2680 fps, I think im gonna chronograph it this weekend. Im wanting to stick with the varget powder I have somuch powder Id hate to buy another can. should I play with my COL a bit to try and tighten the group or should i adjust my powder charge?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say the COL and see if that cleans it up. I'll start at factory spec then work my way out to the max that will fit in the magazine and cycle reliably. Then again with the mtn rifle that may just be some barrel whip. Either way I'd say your just about there.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
bigcountry

Wow, surprised your only getting 2600. I know for a fact I am getting over 2720fps. But its been over a year since I looked at my notes on this one. I think the last time was when I gave this load to you. But I will let you know what I am getting. Its a 22" A-Bolt.

You getting good groups from a tiny barrel. If your throat and you mag can handle it, I would play around with COL.With a 700 you should be able to take it to 2.8" COL. It takes a significant amount of change with that bullet to make a definate change in groups. Barnes it the only bullet I find that is very finicky to COL.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 AM

You did the right thing in changing your bullets. One should always sight your gun in for hunting with the bullet your going to shoot while hunting. This group is nice,and should be very satisfacory to harvest your game with. good luck vangunsmith
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, surprised your only getting 2600. I know for a fact I am getting over 2720fps. But its been over a year since I looked at my notes on this one. I think the last time was when I gave this load to you. But I will let you know what I am getting. Its a 22" A-Bolt.

You getting good groups from a tiny barrel. If your throat and you mag can handle it, I would play around with COL.With a 700 you should be able to take it to 2.8" COL. It takes a significant amount of change with that bullet to make a definate change in groups. Barnes it the only bullet I find that is very finicky to COL.
I said i was expecting 2,650 to 2,680 fps I havent ran these loads through my Beta chrony yet. when I was using matchkings I didnt even bother checking the velocity since they shot very well and velocity doesnt matter much to me unless im shooting at game. But the reason i said im expecting only around 2,650 to 2,680 fps is because after looking at a friends 308 reloading notes, his rifle is a Steyr scout rifle 22" barrel in 308 win his load notes show with a 165 grain speer BTSP on top of 45 grains varget his chronographed average velocity at 10 feet was 2,662 fps with a spread of 35 fps at 78 degrees.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:32 AM

That's good, I'd chalk the variance up to human influence.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

what rifle are you shooting it in BC? you really getting 2800 fps with 45 grains varget?? how long is your barrel mines 22 inches Im only expecting to get around 2650 to 2680 fps, I think im gonna chronograph it this weekend. Im wanting to stick with the varget powder I have somuch powder Id hate to buy another can. should I play with my COL a bit to try and tighten the group or should i adjust my powder charge?
I used to load 51.5 grains of H380 with the 165-grain Sierra HPBT in my pre-64 M70 Featherweight. It gave accuracy perhaps a tad tighter than the group you show above, and the MV was 2820 FPS. This load was TOO HOT to use in a Savage M99, (had to drop to 48 grains), and was plenty hot in the Model 70 also, so if you decide to try it, start at least 5% below!

That Sierra hollowpoint 165-grain bullet is one tough projectile - did a great job on deer.

Quick Reply: Got lucky with a new 308 load. Picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.