Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 WSM wildcatting??? >

WSM wildcatting???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

WSM wildcatting???

Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default WSM wildcatting???

Some time in the future, I want to build a 257-300WSM using a Ruger action. I figure I can build a custom Ruger in 257-300WSM cheaper than buying a Weatherby Mk V in .257 Weatherby Mag. I can also reload the .257WSM using .270WSM brass cheaper than I could reload the .257 Weatherby.

I was wondering what WSM wildcats people had and what they thought of them?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 PM

Default RE: WSM wildcatting???

A local fellow who shoots 1000 yd matches was playing around with the shoulder on the case last year. He was very happy with the results.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Does it necessarily need to be a WSM? Or are you looking for more of a extreme 257 cal gun?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:26 PM

Why not just buy a 243 WSSM? Also, look into the 257 STW...

Unless you want a wildcat.

My opinion - ShortMags........ avoid the hype.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 06-15-2005, 04:28 PM

The .257 WSM has been disappointing for me so far - it has good speed, but a very large standard deviation of velocity. At least with powders that let it achieve its full velocity potential. Might work pretty well with IMR 4350, but you might as well have a .25-06 AI. I would look at the .257 WBY or the .257 STW if you want a high performance .25 caliber.

One very good WSM wildcat is the 6.5MM. It can push a 140 Nosler Partition to over 3300 without any pressure issues and is very accurate. I hope Swift makes a Scirocco or Nosler makes an Accubond for this caliber sometime soon. Should really make this caliber sing.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

We have alot of guys that show up at the Groundhog matches that are wildcatting the WSM's, WSSM and SAUM...the most popular on seems to be the 6.5 WSSM....looks just like a 6 PPC on steroids...next popular would be the 6.5/270 WSM and I've looked at a 6 SAUM.. One of the regular shooters is wildcatting a .30/WSSM, I'm not sure if it's going to be ready for Saturday's match but we'll see..looks like a 30 BR on steroids. The match presents all kinds of problems because of the 3 different distances and problems they each cause..100-300-500 yards...One of the more interesting cartridges I've seen is a .17/221 Fireball, looks like a mini-PPC..it shoots a custom build 37 grain bullets...really long if you can imagine that..If you guys live anywhere in the northeastern part of the USA, stop by the matches and see them shoot for yourselves and talk to the guys that build them..I think we'll see more and more variations of the Short Mags for the forseeable future..I'm interested in what this .30/WSSM is going to do myself, it's going to be a slow twist so it can shoot the 112/118/125 BIB bullet ...you may be interested in the site.. http://www.wildcatshooting.com lots of match shooters post their information on this site...also http://www.6mmBR.com dates and match info http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com hope this helps Frank
Old 06-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I am interested in using the WSM case for the short action and I heard that they were getting .257 weatherby velocities. I would never buy a .243 WSSM, I think it is stupid, it gets the same velocities as a .243, which is already a short action and has 10 times the factory loads and guns it is chambered in. I was leaning toward the 25 cal because I have a .223 and a 7x57 and the 25 is more in between than the 6.5.