Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 which reloading press ??? >

which reloading press ???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

which reloading press ???

Old 06-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Default which reloading press ???

I just getting started in rifle reloading (reloaded for shotguns for many years). I am wondering how much negative effect on accuracy using a progressive press like a Dillon 650 has over using a single stage or turret head press like a T-7 or a Rock Chucker??

In other words, I want to buy the Dillion, but I know I'm not going to be happy if there is a noticable downgrade, all other things being equal, in accuracy - say more than .5 at 100 yards.

Thanks

Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: which reloading press ???

First off, I have never operated a dillion progressive for rifle. But my gunsmith does and there should be no difference in accuacy. According to him. I know i have used it on pistol with no drop in accuracy.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

There should not be a change in accuracy. I use the Rock Chucker and I really like it.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Lots and lots of match ammunition for high power competition is loaded on Dillon equipment. Assuming good technique, you will not notice any decline in accuracy.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Dillon 550 press.

I load most of my rifle ammo on the Rock Chucker.

I recomend to new reloaders to get a single stage to start .
But you have loaded shotgun , .....I probley would still recomend a single stage to start.

Johnch
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM

I prefer the turret type presses, you can load rapidly with them if you are adept, and you can slow down easily when you are learning how. I wouldn't try to learn handloading on a progressive, just too many things to adjust. As for accuracy, speed of loading doesn't seem to have much effect. [8D]
Old 06-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have also never used a progressive for rifle, but I suppose that if you took your time and paid really close attention to what was happening to each round at each stage then accuracy should be comparable. For me, unless I was shooting an AR in competition where I was burning through a couple hundred rounds at a time, I think I'd prefer my Rockchucker. With the RC I can concentrate on one thing at a time which greatly reduces the likelihood I'm going to screw something up, and allows me to catch any problems before I have 20+ screw ups that I have to pull the bullets out of.

Mike
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend who uses a Dillon Press, but when he precision loads he uses a Rock Chucker. I use a Rock Chucker. Good luck.