Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WWAG Press vs Bench Top Press >

WWAG Press vs Bench Top Press

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WWAG Press vs Bench Top Press

Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WWAG Press vs Bench Top Press

Well I'm at the point where I'm going to start collecting components for my own at home "shop" and I'm researching presses at the moment. Of course the EZ press gets great reviews, as does several other high end presses, but I don't want to spend that kind of money, at least right now, for my needs. My dilemma is going back and forth between a bench mount press or a more portable press such as the one designed by WWAG (I think someone else manufacturers it right now, though correct)? I'm looking at this press along with the ultra-press made by Gritty on AT. I like with the ultra press, that it can press basically accomodate any contemporary geometry bow out there right now, and has horizontal adjustment to accomodate various rise lengths. It's a bench top model and is fairly priced at $185. The WWAG press is even more affordable, but I've heard that there are some limitations in pressing center pivot bows, although someone made mention that it can be done by backing the limb bolts out before pressing, but anyways.

You're probably asking why the ability to press a wide geometry of bows is important to me if I don't currently own any of those bows. Well, I would like this press to be at least mildly future-proof in the sense that if I, down the road, decide I want to purchase one of these bows, my press will work on it, and I won't need to buy ANOTHER. I like the portability of the WWAG because it would be nice to take out in my yard while tuning, to be able to press, makes come twists/untwists here and there and be back to shooting in no time, whereas with a bench model, I have to run back inside everytime and adjustment has to be made.

Sooo...thoughts/opinions? On one hand, the money I save by going with the WWAG press, I could get a few more tools for myself to add to my collection, and on the other hand, the ultra-press would be kind of the do-it-all on a budget press for about $100 more.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WWAG Press vs Bench Top Press

Matt, I have a wwag press and I really like it. I haven't found a bow yet that I couldn't press but the General was a little bit of a mystery at first. I did get'r dun though. It's tough to beat for the money. I know there was a thread in the Technical Forum on the press with the new "manufacturer". I forget exactly who that is at the moment.

Your welcome to try mine out when you come down to get a feel for it if your interested.

I also have an Apple Press that will accommodate minor tweaks for the bows, most bows except the General and Guardian, again, minor adjustments.

What I want is an XPress but the cheapest I've seen is around $500. Damn!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I would like to look over yours. My only concern is the placement of the ratchet strap and how quick the loading/compressing/uncompressing process is (speed isn't a huge issue, but when making minor adjustments, it's nice to be able to get it in the press, compress it, and get it back out.

The xpress is very nice, as well. I just don't think it would be wise financially for me to jump into a major press investment, when I know the ultra-press and WWAG get rave reviews, it's hard for me to justify all the extra money (for a shop that presses bows daily, I can see, but not for a guy like me...not yet anyways).
Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

just posted this if its any help

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2668813
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bump for the evening crowd.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just MHO, but I'd get the Ultra Press with his attachment for x-forces and center pivot bows, and I'd also get a bowmaster for portability. I don't know if the bowmaster with the end attachement for split limb bows will press a center pivot, but I know it will press everything else I've used it on. Actually it's been my only press for 3 years now, and for $40 or so, you can't go wrong with it for a portable unit.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Just MHO, but I'd get the Ultra Press with his attachment for x-forces and center pivot bows, and I'd also get a bowmaster for portability. I don't know if the bowmaster with the end attachement for split limb bows will press a center pivot, but I know it will press everything else I've used it on. Actually it's been my only press for 3 years now, and for $40 or so, you can't go wrong with it for a portable unit.
Ahhh, you would say get both, lol. I see your point though...hmmm.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Bowmaster is different than the WWAG press. From what I've seen the WWAG press is nice but the Bowmaster is only like $40 and works well and packs small enough to fit in your pocket.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

The Bowmaster is different than the WWAG press. From what I've seen the WWAG press is nice but the Bowmaster is only like $40 and works well and packs small enough to fit in your pocket.
Yeah I've heard mention of it, I've just never looked into a whole lot. I might have to do that.