Community
Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

17HMR for coyotes?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default 17HMR for coyotes?

OK her's the deal. I got a yote problem here and want to declare Jihad on them after deer season. I have a 17HMR that is SICK on groundhogs out to 165 yards (That I know of) I have a .223 and would rather use it but, where I hunt I don't the .223 is as safe. I have woods and a big field to shoot but homes through the woods some as close as 50 yards in. I will not be shooting towards homes mind you but I worry about .223 bouncing around and it seems to me that the tiny 17 blows up when it hits anything making ricochets almost impossible and absolutely 0 worry about "Overkill" and where the bullet might go on the other side of a rib shot coyote.

The last groundhog I killed was at 165 steps head shot standing up off of sticks. I plan to hunt from elevated stands, with an electronic call and a weapon (Red or green) light. I'm not overly concerned on missing a 6" circle of vitals.

Opinions on the 17? I know its a bit light and I'm ok if I don't recover every one of these bastards. They have eaten too many of my deer. I'm on an extermination mission and that's about it.

Also, Do the green lights scare off coyotes? I see better with green than red.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

First - Be sure of your target and what is beyond.

Use your .223 with a fragmenting bullet (hard to beat Hornady's V-Max) !
Old 11-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

What he^ said! You should be fine with the VMax shooting from an elevated stand.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

most hunters can appreciate that you want to protect the deer population by clearing out a few dogs but an ethical hunter should do so in the quickest, cleanest means possible.
in my opinion a .17hmr is too light to do this
Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Your post was a little confusing but it looks like you were worried about a .223 going too far with a miss, etc. and endangering homes. I'm trying to visualize your setup with a "big field" and "woods." What are the average distances you expect to get a shot at and are there any clear directions of fire? If not, how big is this field and how deep or wide are the woods, etc.? Are you planning on calling the coyotes in with some kind of call and/or decoy or are you just going to take shots of opportunity if you get them? Depending on your setup (especially distances), maybe a shotgun works better for you. If you post more information, someone can likely give you a more definite answer.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
OK her's the deal. I got a yote problem here...

I have a 17HMR...

I have a .223...
The 17HMR isn't really a coyote round, but it can work at SHORT ranges. 50yrds or less. Hitting a groundhog at 165yrds doesn't matter for coyotes. A wrench can be used to drive a nail in a pinch.

The 223rem with a fragile built bullet like the Hornady V-max or Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 50 or 55grn is a much better option.

it seems to me that the tiny 17 blows up when it hits anything making ricochets almost impossible and absolutely 0 worry about "Overkill" and where the bullet might go on the other side of a rib shot coyote.
You're wrong here. A 17HMR is just as apt to ricochet as any other cartridge, and to be honest, MORESO likely to ricochet than many other rounds. If you're worried about accidentally clipping one off into the side of somebody's house a mere 50yrds away, you shouldn't be shooting there, whether it's a 17HMR or a 223rem. Is this a spot that you bowhunt? Give that a whirl, it's a real rush.

The last groundhog I killed was at 165 steps head shot standing up off of sticks.... I'm not overly concerned on missing a 6" circle of vitals.
A 30lb coyote isn't a 6lb groundhog. You don't have the luxury of a 6" vital circle on a coyote with a 17HMR, nor really with a 223rem.

Opinions on the 17?
Headshots are the better option with the 17 and only to the 50-75yrd mark. If you can field shoot a golfball at 100yrds, then 100yrds. Vitals shots are marginal at best with the 17HMR at longer ranges - and by longer, I'm talking 100yrds. You won't be worried about recovering "every one" if you're taking such long shots at coyotes with a "hummer," you'll need to be more worried about recovering a "single one," as my experience has been that even well hit with a 17HMR, they coyotes are going to run.

Also, Do the green lights scare off coyotes? I see better with green than red.
Green is fine. How you use the light matters a lot more than light color.

End of the day, the 223rem will be a better option for you, all the way around.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 223 is a much better option. I have had them run after being hit hard with the 300.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

100% agreed on the 17 being too light to do the job humanely. I shot a trapped yote several years ago with a friends .17 Raging Bull to try out the new weapon. I shot it at about 25yds broadside in the ribs to only see it pop right back up like nothing happened!!!! Next shot was in the ear. NO jump back up!!! .223 with Hornady Superformance or Winchester Ballistic Tips are great 'yote stoppers and nearly zero richochette concerns. Especially from an elevated postion.